SPALTED wood {Maple ?} - who wants some?

People - It's been some time since I've 'tuned in'. So I apologize in advance for any procedural errors.

Anyhow, I have something to offer . . . I remember a good bit of discussion of the value of and desire for 'Spalted' wood. Yesterday I was finally able to take down a dead tree. I've been trying to get someone to do it for several years. I thought it would be hollow, but it wasn't. The upper trunk & limbs were so rotted {?} that they were like 'punk' or Balsa !!.

The lower trunk is very interesting. The took it down in about 3-foot 'chunks' - per my instructions. When they were cutting those into more manageable pieces, with ants all over the place, I was able to take a closer look.

a} The wood was solid and absolutely dry. It had been dead for some years and sort of 'Air Dried on the stump'. The chainsaw residue wasn't 'sawdust', but looked like 'cut Spaghetti' !! From the shape of the leaves I've raked . . . I'm guessing Maple.

b} The surface, where the bark had fallen off, was 'speckled' with 'worm' {ant ?}holes.

and c} The ends showed a distinct 'spalted' pattern !!! When I looked closer it was even on the surface of the pieces.

The chunks are spread along the side of the 'shop' . . . I've sprayed them to get rid of the ants. Also the entire area to kill the weeds. {The biggest reason for the 'project' is to put an 'attached shed' in place to store sheet goods}

There has got to be 500 pounds, or more, of the stuff. Before Joanne chucks it {she ABSOLUTELY WON'T let me take up any more of HER space, or 'feed the ants', or 'draw termites'}, or I use it for the shop stove, I'd like to see it used for something of beauty & value. There are some really BIG chunks. I'd be glad to take & send pictures to anyone interested.

Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {in the Philly suburbs . . . 215 Area Code, and 19038 ZIP code}

Reply to
Ron Magen

I am a turner in San Jose, CA. I am always looking for just one more piece cut into. Nova Lathe w/ Delta 14" Bandsaw. We could talk terms. Again, just looking for one not very big piecs.

Had a California Live Oak Burl with rot, spalting, stains. It made for some very interesting bowls. Still some around here somewhere...

Good to hear tree stories, this from an old logger (wasn't turning then).

Reply to
jessess

Good t hear there's some other old loggers out there, i'm one myself. sadly iv'e known a quite a few that didn't have a chance to get old. we cut millions of feet of elm when the europeon bark beetle came through and killed all the elm back in the 70's and early 80's ross

Ross Hebeisen

jessess,

I would have thought the first 'answers' would have been local . . . not from the 'other Coast' !!

How much do you want - I have circular, 10in table, and 14-in band saws. Not to mention a 'Swedish' cross-cut saw. So cutting some into 'not very big' pieces shouldn't present any problem.

Regards, Ron