Spalted Maple Veneer

Anyone know where I can get such a thing? Need it to be at least 14" long, wider the better.

I've checked a number of sources, can't seem to find it anywhere. Any tips, ideas or thoughts appreciated.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

Pat Barber

I don't know that I've ever seen spalted maple as a veneer before. By it's very nature (it's rotten wood), it's not very stable and cutting to a 1/32 or 1/40 veneer probably would not work very well.

Your best bet is to find some spalted maple (or beech) boards and resaw them yourself to a thicker veener (1/8 or 1/16) that would provide some stability. I've done that before with good results.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

Thanks for the various links, none of them have spalted maple listed. The last one was basically non-existent as it wouldn't open.

Any other ideas?

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

Slice it. I do. Mark for bookmatch for even # of pieces, slip match odd #.

Reply to
George

I would if I had a bandsaw. But I don't and I currently don't have room for one. I wanted to try the veneer on a box project I'm working on. The search goes on...

John

Reply to
John Emmons

try woodworking clubs in your area. try asking around at the place you buy hardwoods. sometimes they have one there that they will do a task for $x/hour (they do the cutting). try a local kitchen cabinet maker.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
Paul O.