Southwest Ohio. Be on the lookout for stolen tools.

Am missing a Dewalt sliding compound mitre saw, Porter Cable compressor (small, Pancake shaped) and two trim guns Makita 15 amp circular saw, Bosch

18 v cordless recip saw and a ton of other stuff from Liberty Township in Butler County near Monroe. If anyone's out at the local flea markets (Trader's World, Ceaser Creek, etc..) or if someone tries to sell you some suspicious looking tools (thg mitre saw has a couple cuts in the rear fence) please call me at 606-3204 or, better yet, call the cops. Thanks for your time.

Kevin Bowling

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

Bummer, especially since it sounds like these were you professional tools and livelyhood.

Reply to
RonB

I have all my power tools engraved with my domain name = company name. Both in the metal and plastic parts. That would render them much harder to resell. I hope.

Reply to
mare

How do you engrave, dremel type of tool? I have all mine inventoried in spreadsheets and have the receipts organized but I want to do that as another step.

Reply to
Eugene

I am in west central Ohio and we got hit early last week. Someone got on top of the tool trailer and busted out one of the vents to have a look see inside. Must have liked what they saw, cuz they proceded to pry one corner of the door open just enough to remove our DeWalt gas powerd air compressor, all the cords and hoses and an old sawzall. Fortunately, all the nail guns, saws, lasers, and other tools were locked in two big job boxes they were unable to get open. (Knaack job boxes are built like a tank, well worth the cost) If you keep your tools locked in a trailer on a jobsite, consider running a strong piece of angle iron along the sides of the door (we just did both sides, lesson learned!) . This would have prevented those A holes from getting in and ripping us off in the first place. They never got the door open, just took a prybar and bent the lower corner of the door up. The biggest complaint i had is after we called the cops, THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW UP! No pictures , no investigation, nothing, except to say that it is getting to be a regular problem in the area and took a report OVER THE PHONE. What a crock of dung that was. At least in the county i live in, the sheriff dept. will take the time to come out if there is a problem like this and take the report in person! All told, damage to trailer and missing goods totalled $2500 My BIL is a city officer and told me it is also a good idea to put the last 4 digits of your SSN on the tools. At least, you can prove it was your when it turn up in the local pawn shop. I'll keep my eyes open for your stuff. On the bright side, the pawn shops must be overflowing with stolen goods this time of year, so maybe you can get a good deal replacing what you had. --dave

"mare" wrote in message news:1gotyea.1pj18q25sk84yN%mare*Remove*All*0f*This*I*Hate*Spammers*@mac.invalid.com...

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I engraved them with a Dremel. It's somehow crude, I didn't use a template or something, but it does the job. Of course they could file it off, but that takes quite long and the engraving is rather deep.

Reply to
mare

Dave... Be VERY careful with the last 4 digits of your SS#!! If they get that and your name, they (in many cases) have your identity....

Reply to
mac davis

I've had police officers tell me that the SSN is not really good for identification anyway--it's difficult for the police to get a name out of the Social Security Administration with just the SSN. A drivers' license number would be better from the viewpoint of the police finding the owner.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm a bit north of there, but I'll keep my eyes pealed. On a related note, my wife's cousin owns a business in the Cincinnati area and recently had his whole tool trailer stolen.

Brian

Reply to
Brian and Brenda Mahaney

In OH the DL number changes each time you get a new one. I had some tools stolen and they just did the police report over the phone, I had to speak to a voice activated answering machine. Then Allstate screwed me over and gave me 1/100th of the price and told me I should have tools as that made me more of a target for thieves, needless to say I'm not with them anymore.

Reply to
Eugene

Allstate? I have them too.. So, basically, you got robbed twice. First by thieves, again by insurance co? Them SOB's. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Even more fun when you don't have them and they are the insurer for the party who is at fault in an accident. My wife was in an accident (rear-ended while waiting to turn left -- not even sporting). She spent over a year hassling with Allstate -- the other driver's insurance carrier, all she wanted was to get the Explorer fixed and any medical bills for her passengers taken care of. First hassle was initial refusal to replace the car seat in which our son had been riding when the car was hit (collision was *not* minor, significant damage to the car occured, including having one of the passenger seats in which my FIL was riding snap the back as he went forward, then back into the seat). She had to go to the CPSC in order to get a letter indicating that, yes, if a child car seat is involved in an accident, it needs to be replaced. CPSC contact expressed interest in getting the seat for testing, my wife gave them the insurance agent's name and number. Since the accident was out-of-state, she needed a rental car

-- more hassle. Getting the vehicle returned was another argument. Allstate is definitely not on my list of approved vendors.

... snip

Reply to
Mark & Juanita