Sources for large Wood Posts

I am looking for 7"-8" diameter wooden posts that are smooth and with no cracks (or few). As far as length they could be anywhere from 3-8 feet long. Need them untreated. Most fence/corner posts are pretty rough and split. Any sources appreciated.
Try R/R ties? Or oar you looking for a clean looking fence. I used R/R ties for my corners for a field fence.
Just my .o2

I've got 4-5 solid round posts like this. Some are as thick as 10" and 15-18' long... From an old 1800's era stable..
You interested in coming to NJ to get them? For the right price, I'll throw them on a truck for shipment...
Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride" http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm
Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...
Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.
My eBay Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Just brainstorming here: have you tried any "log home" builders in your area for off-cuts or rejects?
____

buck wrote:

^^^^^^^^^

Well that rules out cutting down a power pole and chopping it up.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Both RR ties and phone poles are treated with creosote, at least all the ones I've seen. Creosote is poisonous, when the wood is burned or reduced to airborne sawdust. What about salvaged beams? I recall a company in Utah that had removed an abandoned RR bridge and was selling the lumber, some of it 8x12 untreated cedar and or redwood. They have a web site, but I seem to have lost the link. Oddly, woodfinder.com does not come up either. I think that's the site through which I found these guys. Good luck
Sat, Jan 29, 2005, 7:30am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@covad.net (buck) explains: Well, I will be using them to make some martial arts dummies so they need to be somewhat near a smooth configuration with little/no splitting. <snip>
Loads of options, no prob. One, use a live dummy, should be plenty of those around. Two, get a chunk of tree trunk, usually plenty available anywhere they're building. Three, glue together some 2X12s, then plane them round. Or, 2X4s, whatever is availble. Four, make a hollow one. Five, a section of padded metal pipe. Six, cut out a bunch of plywood circles and glue them in a stack. Seven, use "your" imagination.
JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough. - Unknown
If they are dummies then plane down some 2x8 syp to clear the rounded edges and laminate. My dad has done that to fix stuff on the old house.

Hey Jim.... I like the idea. Do you think you could do this without planing, since I have no planer, and then shape when done. And if so, what would your Dad use for glue? I am assuming it would take a lot of glue.... Did he clamp with pipe clamps or something? Thanks for your help! This might be the way to go.

no
and

seems like for what you're using them for, laminates (glue lam) would work fine, wouldn't they?
perhaps a local wood turning club would take up the challenge to glue up some 4x4's and turn em???
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Most lumber companies that supply contractors can order timbers in large sizes. I have gotten them in pine and cedar.
Preston

and
Neighbor of mine in Oregon had a connection at a local plywood mill. He was always getting what he called "peeler cores", the remnant left after the knives had peeled the Doug Fir logs down almost as far as they would go. Usually 12 foot lengths, about 10 inch diameter. He used them for fence posts. At least six i can see from the window here have been in the ground 25 years and are still in good shape.
Got a plywood mill near by? (G)
--
Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key.
I'm not sure where you are located but here in NM, there are a number of places selling Vigas which are essentially pine trees with the bark etc...stripped off. They're generally round, not perfect obviously, but not too terribly expensive. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://www.abslumber.com/vigas.html
If you're not near the SW, then you may be out of luck in terms of this option. Cheers, cc

thanks James.... cool looking stuff at the web site....
Yeah, I'm considering doing a timber framed out-building to house my shop. I figured I'd buy the beams from these guys and do all the joinery etc... myself. Just trying to a) justify the cost and b) come up with the $$! Cheers, cc