Source of oak South of Kansas City?

I am looking for a dependable source of reasonably-priced dried red oak (one or two hundred board feet per sale). The wood store in Martin City, MO appears to have closed--they used to have some pretty good wood at VERY reasonable prices. Paxton is excellent, but there is less costly oak out there. The prices charged by the BORG stores is waaaaaay to high. Anyone know of any sources of dry oak south of KC? A variety of different cuts would be even better.

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.

FWIW Missouri-Pacific Lumber Company in Fayette Missouri has large stocks of hardwood. The used to have a minimum order of 250 bdft but I see they now have a 1000 bdft/order statement on their site. Fayette is just east of Columbia which is about 120 miles east of KC.

Lawrence L'Hote

It's not south but Schutte might be closer to you than Paxton.

Reply to
Rob

Liberty Hardwood Inc. at Truman road in KCMO. "4/4 Oak Red F1F W/T Tieside rough" @ $2.15/BF. Size is approximately, 8" wide and 8" long. Remember to ask for "Railroad Tie" red oak. They have other size too may cost more. FREE delivery over $300, they may make delivery under $300. They will plane them too, but I forgot how much they charge.

They have wide selection of plywood and other hardwoods. They also sell compatible Accuride ball bearing drawer slides at ridiculous low price.

I believe they are the cheapest in KC. Ask for David (1-888-908-0852), (if anyone know any cheaper, please let me know I'll change my supplier!) I have no relation to Liberty, but I am a very satisfied customer.

Reply to
WD

Thanks! I will give Liberty Hardwood and Schutte Lumber both a try. BTW--there is allegedly a place in Butler, MO that has a variety of hardwoods in random bundles with prices of approximately $1/board foot but have not tried them assuming the bundles are quite large.

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.

Thanks, where in Butler (more precise location)?

Occasionally when I drive into small towns outside KC Metro, I always stops in small town and communities looking for good cheap stuff. If you are looking for new/used recondition, including returned Crapsman tools, there is a place beside a gas station off South I35 in Ottawa.

Reply to
WD

Dunno about the Butler location in more detail (sorry)--I made a note last year that athey $50 bundles of oak, cedar, ash and walnut but failed to get directions or phone number. As small as Butler is, I would imagine that it would be common knowledge at many retail stores.

BTW--found that Huttig Front Street (west of Interstate 435) has oak for $

2.05 but am unaware if it is 4S or what--will visit them this week or next along with Schutte and Liberty. A professional woodworking friend gets white oak from Huttig.

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.