Source for twist drill bits

Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Actually the sizes you mentioned are pretty common in most drill sets.

So I would say you can look most any where???

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened, a couple of years ago from Lowe's that included,

1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8

I did not need the set but they were just too cheap to pass up for $5.

Reply to
Leon

And, unless you need multiple of the same size, it's probably cheaper to buy set that includes what you want rather than by individual bits.

There's everything from the Harbor Freight type to all US for the range of prices (and commensurate quality to go with). Some (dare I say most) of the imports are, ime, decent enough from a sharpness standpoint but they get the hardness at the expense of being very brittle.

--

Reply to
dpb

If you are going to drill wood only, triple hardened, chrome vanadium, and other cheap drill nonsense is probably OK. If drilling metal is anywhere in the scheme of things, they will become junk in mere seconds. Drills labeled HSS (high speed steel) are the minimum requirement for drilling metal. Spend the money and do it right.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Any industrial supply house will have them. As will McMaster, Grainger, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I buy individual bits from these folks, as needed, while ordering other items.

are useful...

John Grossbohlin

Places like can fill odd orders. You can also get sets (#1-#60 is a very useful set of small twist drills, if you don't already have those).

If you can find a local hardware store that actually has this kind of thing in stock, give them your business. I like Hardwick's, in Seattle.

Reply to
whit3rd

Places like can fill odd orders. You can also get sets (#1-#60 is a very useful set of small twist drills, if you don't already have those).

If you can find a local hardware store that actually has this kind of thing in stock, give them your business. I like Hardwick's, in Seattle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Every time I visit the kids in Seattle I stop in Hardwick's. Highly recommended, but be prepared to spend some time browsing and bring Bucks!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The point I was really trying to make was that the sizes that he OP wants are not big deal to find, they even come in cheap sets.

Reply to
Leon