Source for Thick Ipe

Folks -

I have a prospective client that wants a prototype lamp built out of Doug Fir and Ipe. DF is no problem, but the base of the lamp is made out of 2" blocks of Ipe. I can't find anything close to that thickness at all, and even finding Kiln Dried stock is spotty. Do any of you have any leads for sources. The lamp/lamps won't take much so internet sources via UPS would probably work. I am in Northern California..

TIA

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

Try a decking supplier.

Reply to
DarylRos

at the price list link, they show 2 1/2", and up to 4x4 (3 1/2")

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:26:57 -0700, John Moorhead wrote (in article ):

There is a place in Phoenix that had a good special on 20BF packs via UPS. It seems to me that Ipe could be laminated into thick blocks without grain matching worries. Do a google search on "hardwood Phoenix" or something similar.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

"John Moorhead" wrote in news:lkjAd.3485$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

John, try

in Oakland. If they don't have 8/4, I'd be really surprised. I know they have a bunch of similar types.

Find out what you need, and ping me on the private, and maybe I can work something out...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

As far as I have found the only thick ipe is decking stock. the wood is usually darker and denser then the kd lumber I get. but the bad news it is usually way to wet to use right away. and it takes years to dry out a 4x4.

it is about 5.5 a bf and they ship too. they only carry 4/4 though.

Reply to
Steve Knight

FWIW, Connecticut Wood Group has 8/4 KD in stock--they get it from Argentina, where it's called "Lapacho" but it's the same species. Standing next to a piece of black walnut it's hard to tell them apart by looking at them. Pick them up though and the difference is obvious.

Not sure if CWG ships, but worth a try.

Reply to
J. Clarke