Source for Musical instrument grade woods

Preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area.
My son has decided to embark on a project, not entirely unlike the one charlieb has been describing with his 'kid'. (His is 27, mine is 30.) But it will be in my shop, using my tools, and my head will likely get scratched more than once.
He wants to build an acoustic bass guitar. We have a good friend, who will help him through a lot of this, but the friend's health is fragile, and I/we don't want to drag him all over looking for just the right materials.
So, can anyone recommend a good source for instrument grade woods? Spruce, woods from the rosewood families, etc. Mail order would be ok, but this is sort of a tactile thing, as well as visual, so we would prefer to be able to go and touch & buy, as opposed to trust & hope by mail.
Patriarch
Mon, Jun 28, 2004, 8:44pm (EDT+4) patriarch
<snip> So, can anyone recommend a good source for instrument grade woods? <snip>
Check out this site. http://www.cigarboxguitar.com /
JOAT That the peope have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the state. - Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776
"patriarch <" wrote:

Luthiers' Mercantile International's web site might be of some help.
http://www.lmii.com /
Jack:
Thanks for the Link!!!!
I didn't start this thread, but I sure like that site.
Graybeard Phil

Spruce,
is
able
Try Stewart-MacDonald, too. I don't know anything about what's in Frisco. Sorry.
As Jack says, LMI is very good, and will make it right, if you get something you don't want. They can teach you how to order exactly what you want, too.
Kevin
--
=====
You might try MacBeath Hardwood. They have stores in San Francisco and Berkeley and also are on line. I've never been there but they show up on a Google search.
Dick

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:44:21 GMT, patriarch <> wrote:

The folks at Martin Guitars will sell you pre-made components (tops, necks, sides), or the proper woods to use for such an instrument. Take a look at: http://www.martinguitar.com/1833 /
Hope this helps, Dave Hinz

But
will
Spruce,
is
Pat, Spend some time at www.mimf.com. Those guys will have all kinds of wisdom for you.
Montyhp

Gilmer Wood Co., Portland, OR http://www.gilmerwood.com /
Luthiers Mercantile International (lmii.com) is the main biggy for luthier supply, and they are right up 101 near Healdsburg. If I were you, I'd be up there for a day trip so I could fondle everything and pick out your lumber. Hard to do from Delaware. They get a chunk of my change anyway.
Jim Kirby
patriarch < wrote:

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

This one I knew by reputation. It sounds as though I should take that drive. There are a goodly number of reasons to visit that corner of the world, including a number of cabinet furniture suppliers.
Thanks, all!
Patriarch