Source for metal table legs for freestanding Counter/Bar

In a nutshell: metal table legs/struts/brackets where do I get them?
I'm building a small free standing counter/bar top for my kitchen (big enough so I can sit on a stool, drink coffee and read the paper in the morning and stare out the window), roughly 24" X 40" about 40" off the floor. I'm using MDF doubled up with 2x2 cherry to trim around the edge and Formica laminate (bamboo cane) for the top. I want to use two metal posts with brackets to hold it up. Does anyone know of a source for ordering such hardware on the net? It's not the kind of thing you find at the borg. Or any experience making tables. I'm debating welding the legs supports myself or finding someone to weld it for me. I'm also planning on building an accompanying kitchen table for the breakfast nook and I'd like to keep everything in the same style.
I was looking for something similar a few years back and ended up at a wrought iron fence maker. He made the legs for me for a fair price. Puff

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 05:40:42 GMT, "SofaKing"

lee valley has a few
They do but the legs are more suitable for woodworking benches. I guess what I'm looking for is a 3 to 4" square or round steel tube 30 to 40" long, with a flat plate welded to one end which bolts to and holds the table and some sort of foot mechanism on the bottom to give it support. It might just be faster to have a local metal shop fabricate something to my specs. I also thought of going to the second hand stores and buying an old table for parts but that's pretty hit and miss.

IKEA sells these round legs exactly as you describe, in various colors. They also started to sell online.
See them at http://tinyurl.com/u0jn
Pieter

Thank you that is a good idea for pre fab legs.
wrote in message >

The junk yard?
--

"SofaKing" <sofaking@sofaking!@#$.com> wrote in message
Then I found this.
http://www.tablelegsonline.com

Here's two more possible sources
http://www.oodlesofpartsplus.com/furniture_legs.htm#furniturelegs http://closet-masters.com/Computer_desks/Table_legs/Table_legs_for_home_office_main_page_L3.htm

Dont know if these fit your needs, but the company I work for has some really great metal legs for this type of purpose. We sell some nice steel "bases" as an alternative to legs as well. Not intended to be a plug per say, but it's really nice stuff, and it's all I can think of, and you asked... Quality on all of this is really good. Hope you find what your looking for.
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/dept.do?dept=RB113
Ben
On 2/8/04 11:40 PM, in article u3FVb.447937$ts4.266270@pd7tw3no, "SofaKing"

These folks: