Source for *magnetic* extended drill drivers

For hard to reach places where your hand may not fit into to hold the screw on the tip of the driver.
6" to 12" would be great for common screw types. I pretty much stick to phillips but a set of differing screw head types would be nice to have around.
Tried a Google search without results, obviously I am not asking the right questions. The responses I get are either non-magnetic or Rube Goldberg contraptions.
Thanks, John

Buy yourself a magnetizer/demagnetizer. http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/Wiha-40010-Wiha-Magnetizer-Demagnatizer
On 12/10/2011 7:45 AM, Dave wrote:

That is interesting, may give it a try.
Thanks, John
In wrote:

Works fairly well here but a pain to get out, plug in, unplug, etc.. I took an old woofer speaker apart for the magnet ring and keeping whatever I want magnetized stuck to that seems to do a better job and with a couple swipes gives a more magnetized part. It's stuck to the hood on my drill press & I just reach up and put whatever I want onto it. Bits, screwdrivers, "pickers" for digging around in the misc cans, things like that. No cords to fuss with & easy to take along with you to another site to work if you want to.
HTH,
Twayne`
Twayne wrote the following:

Are you talking about the same magnetizer/demagnetizer? re: plug in, unplug. The one referenced above says "No batteries or electrical required".
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
John wrote:

had it for years and have no Idea where I got it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=screwdriver+bit+extension
--
Gerald Ross

Everyone must row with the oars he has.

Caveat Emptor. I got a couple of the shorter ones, maybe 3", but didn't pay much attention to it until it broke on the first impactor job. My old ones were chromed steel or stainless. The new HF jobs have aluminum ferrules. They're plenty strong for manual or electric screwdriving, but they fail instantly upon entering the impact stage.
These look to be chromed, so they might be good, but do look out.
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
On 12/10/2011 6:11 AM, John wrote:

I've never had a problem finding long magnetic bit extensions. For a really long one, you may have to visit one of the local industrial supply houses but 6" bit extensions are common at the big box home improvement stores. If you must have a long magnetic holder, use a sliding chuck release type to extend a shorter magnetic tip holder.
https://encrypted.google.com/webhp#hl=en&cp=9&gs_idy&xhr=t&q=magnetic+power+screwdriver+bit+extensions&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&site=webhp&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=magnetic+power+screwdriver+bit+extensions&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp 70ae2b965f879&biw24&bihX8
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cyjxbcp
TDD
In

Nobody cares what equipment with planned obsolescence uses for screws and bolts. Did you read the OP
------------------------ "Twayne" wrote in message

On 12/10/2011 7:11 AM, John wrote:

I presume that a magnetic bit holder just refers to how the bit is retained in the holder and doesn't automagically magnetize the bit to hold the screw?
Like this one:
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/magnetic-bit-holder-201095.aspx
John
On 12/10/2011 10:15 AM, John wrote:

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/magnetic-bit-holder-201095.aspx
or this one:
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/irwin-magnetic-screw-guide-281733.aspx#features
John wrote the following:

Wrong. The magnetic bit extender transfers the magnetism to the bit. I can pick up screws with the end of the bit when it is in the extender.

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/magnetic-bit-holder-201095.aspx

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 12/11/2011 12:06 PM, willshak wrote:

Great!
One more question, which of the following two would you recommend?
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/irwin-magnetic-screw-guide-281733.aspx#features
-or-
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/54-394-magnetic-bit-holder/magnetic-bit-holder-201095.aspx
I am leaning toward the extendable one but thinking the other would probably be more reliable.
Thanks, John
I believe you are looking for a bit extender. I have seen them at HFT, Sears and a small real HW store (where I got mine). I expect HD, Lowe's, Ace HW, Maynards, et al would have them as well.
Mike in Ohio
On 12/10/2011 07:11 AM, John wrote:

I've found that too often when I need a long driver extension, it's also in a tight space so extensions just get in the way. I have long driver bits for these times. I have several extensions (from various kits over the years) but they are seldom used.
John wrote:

Try "drill extension". I picked up a 12" one (Vermont American) from my locally owned ACE store a couple years ago for a very reasonable price; Amazon (among others) also sells them online.
Jon
sfgsdfgsdg