Source for FireStorm batteries in Canuckistan?

Page 1 of 2
I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding) batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.
Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.
I can Google, why can't you?
See more Firestorm Tools www.firestormtools.com
FireStorm 14.4v Volt Extended Run Time Battery Model # FS140BX
High output nickel cadmium battery cells with "no memory" technology provide up to 500 recharges.
FSXtreme battery provides extended run time
Patented spring loaded slide pack battery allows user to easily install and remove battery
http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/product-details.aspx?productid 511&toolview=4#details
The Factory Stores feature the largest selection of Black & Decker home appliances and factory reconditioned power tools, outdoor power equipment and home products. Come experience the value at a location near you!
California
Black & Decker Factory Store Vacaville Premium Outlets (Just off Highway 80 in Vacaville) 331 K Nut Tree Road Vacaville, CA 95687 (707) 453-1256 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Delaware
Black & Decker Factory Store Tanger Factory Outlet Center (Bayside) Suite 800 Bayside Outlet Dr. Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971 (302) 227-4220 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Florida
Black & Decker Factory Store Sawgrass Mills/VF Building 12801 West Sunrise Blvd. suite 102 Sunrise, FL 33323 (954) 853-7882 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Ellenton 5151 Factory Shops Blvd. Ellenton, FL 34222 (941) 721-7334 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Georgia
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Calhoun (I-75 to Exit 312 then 455 Belwood Road) 455 Bellwood Road, Suite 27 Calhoun, GA 30701 (706) 602-8848 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Black & Decker Factory Store Lake Park Outlets 5133 Mill Store Road Lake Park, GA 31636 (229) 559-4006 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Massachusetts
Black & Decker Factory Store Wrentham Village Premium Outlets (Off Exit 15 of Interstate 495 in Massachusetts) One Premium Outlet Blvd., Suite 750 Wrentham, MA 02093 (508) 384-7199 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Maryland
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Hagerstown 540 Prime Outlet Blvd. Hagerstown, MD 21740 (301) 766-7105 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Maine
Black & Decker Factory Store Tanger Factory Outlet Center 283 US Route 1, Suite 11 Kittery, ME 03904 (207) 439-5681 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Michigan
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Birch Run (Interstate 75 at Exit #136) 12200 Beyer Rd Suite E50 Birch Run, MI 48415 (989) 624-4370 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Missouri
Black & Decker Factory Store Tanger Factory Outlet Center (West Highway 76) 300 Tanger Blvd., Suite 217 Branson, MO 65616 (417) 334-7825 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
North Carolina
Black & Decker Factory Store Concord Mills 8111 Concord Mills Blvd., Suite 501 Concord, NC 28027 (704) 979-1520 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Nevada
Black & Decker Factory Store Las Vegas Outlets 7400 South Las Vegas Blvd., Space 210 Las Vegas, NV 89123 (702) 270-7750 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com New York
Black & Decker Factory Store Waterloo Premium Outlets 655 Route 318 Waterloo, NY 13165 (315) 539-0639 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Oregon
Black & Decker Factory Store Seaside Factory Outlets 1111 North Roosevelt Drive, Suite 336 Seaside, OR 97138 (503) 717-8717 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Pennsylvania
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Grove City (Exit 113 Off I-79) I-79 and Route 208, P.O. Box 1114 Grove City, PA 16127 (724) 748-5511 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Black & Decker Factory Store Rockvale Outlets Lancaster (Route 30 and 896) 35 South Willowdale Drive, Box No. 1821 Lancaster, PA 17602 (717) 295-7636 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Black & Decker Factory Store VF Outlet Village 801 Hill Avenue Wyomissing, PA 19610 (610) 373-0351 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
South Carolina
Black & Decker Factory Store Tanger Factory Outlet Center (Highway 501N. - 3 Miles West of the Waterway) 4642 Factory Stores Blvd Suite FF105 (Highway 501 North) Myrtle Beach, SC 29579 (843) 236-9567 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Tennessee
Black & Decker Factory Store Belz Factory Outlet World 2655 Teaster Lane, Suite 50 Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 (865) 428-3307 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Texas
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Hillsboro 104 I-35, Suite 155 Hillsboro, TX 76645 (254) 582-1153 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Black & Decker Factory Store Tanger Factory Outlet Center 4015 Interstate 35, Suite 810 San Marcos, TX 78666 (512) 392-4000 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Virginia
Black & Decker Factory Store The Williamsburg Outlet Mall 6401 Richmond Road, Space 14 Lightfoot, VA 23090 (757) 564-3658 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Washington
Black & Decker Factory Store Factory Stores at North Bend (Exit 31 Off I-90) 521 South Fork Avenue, Suite 521 E/F North Bend, WA 98045 (425) 888-5535 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
Wisconsin
Black & Decker Factory Store Prime Outlets at Pleasant Prairie 11211 120th Avenue, Space 42 Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158 (262) 857-3231 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
West Virginia
Black & Decker Factory Store Flatwoods Factory Stores 256 Skidmore Lane Sutton, WV 26601 (304) 765-3226 snipped-for-privacy@bdk.com
UA^;MK+IQ$-74&Y/<B]\0Q;G2)_CVL"S^>:/JJFYXU:[.#[SZ)$^VF7AA3IN\,L\` #'__9 ` end
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:51:08 +0000, resrfglc wrote:
<SNIP>
That's fine list of US stores you provide, but he lives in Mississagua (if I spelled it right) which is in a place called CANADA. So, if you had added a +Canada to your Google search, it have been more informative north of the border.

LOL, I'm glad someone was paying attention. I've checked online and they don't appear to be in any of the stores here. I'm going to the Dewalt Service Outlet today to see if they carry them. They're only $24.97 at Lowes, so I might have to bug my cousin to mail me a couple. She'll be thrilled. :-)
Bill Stock wrote:

In our town there are two battery stores that rebuild NiCads. Interstate Battery was the one I used (better price) when my Milwaukee 18V began to get tired. The rebuild was better than the original, so I asked the Interstate folks if they sold rebuilts. Turns out they had some that customers had never picked up, so I bought an extra at less than half the new price. Later had the other original rebuilt giving me three really good batteries. None of these seem to lose much charge if they aren't used for a while. Good value for the $$ IMO.
Joe

Thanks, I'll have to investigate the rebuilts. Maybe they can put some Nimhs in the old drill.
Be careful there Bill. Not all NiCd chargers can also do NiMH and you could end up ruining the new cells or having to buy a new charger. Best to check first.
Art

Where in Canada are you, Bill?
Here in Saskatoon, I've gone to Battery Boys and had them rebuild for me.

Mississauga.
I was considering rebuilding them, since they aren't glued together. Just seems to be 12 C Cells and some shrink wrap. Although the new batteries are only $40 US, so it hardly seems worth it.
Mon, Dec 25, 2006, 12:18pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth query: I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding) batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. <snip>
I don't care much for cordless tools myself. But when they were growing up, my two sons got into radio controlled vehicles big-time. Those battery packs were pricey. Very pricey. So, because I couldn't afford all they wanted, they quickly learned how to make their own, using rechargable batteries soldered together, and held together with tape. Loads cheaper, and worked just as well. Maybe you can do something like that. They're 26 and 30 now, and still play with radio control vehicles.
(Bill Stock) doth query: I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding) batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. <snip>
I don't care much for cordless tools myself. But when they were growing up, my two sons got into radio controlled vehicles big-time. Those battery packs were pricey. Very pricey. So, because I couldn't afford all they wanted, they quickly learned how to make their own, using rechargable batteries soldered together, and held together with tape. Loads cheaper, and worked just as well. Maybe you can do something like that. They're 26 and 30 now, and still play with radio control vehicles.
Thanks, I priced the replacement cells and they were about $3 US each + shipping + brokerage + aggravation. I had the battery apart and it did not seem to be a simple task to replace the cells.
I went to the DeeWalt store yesterday and they wanted $85 (regular price) each for the standard replacement batteries. They didn't appear to know about the extended run time batteries I wanted. (Sucks being in a small market). But they had 35% of Dewalt and 50% off B&D for their Boxing Day sale, so I could have had the regular batteries for about $100 CDN including tax. They had one of those B&D 18V combos (Drill, Flashlight, Circular Saw and Reciprocating Saw) for $125 after discount. But I bought a scratch & dent (refurb) Dewalt 14.4 1/2" drill with new XRP batteries for $160, these are $240 USD on Amazon today. They had a whole stack of 18V hammer drills for some extra bucks, but I already have a corded hammer drill.
I'll likely pick up some batteries (eBay) for the old drill when I see them cheap and give it to some tool poor buddy.
(Bill Stock) doth query:

battery of the same voltage (most of them use sub c cells anyway- I'm assuming there's a equivelant to harbor freight tools in canada) though the batteries will be of lower quality and capacity. If you have access to a multimeter, you might find that only a couple of the cells might be causing the problems. They can be replaced though the mismatching of the cells is a nono according to some, I've done it for a friend when he wanted to get a bit more use out of a 18v dewalt without springing for a new battery. Pat
Fri, Dec 29, 2006, 1:07pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth sayeth: <snip>Thanks, I priced the replacement cells and they were about $3 USeach + shipping + brokerage + aggravation. I had the battery apart and it did not seem to be a simple task to replace the cells. <snip>
I don't know how your batteries go together, but the RC battery packs had from 4 to 8 AA battery sized units in 'em. The kids were around 9-10 when they started making their own replacement packs. They'd get however many rechargable batteries, connect them with soldered wires, and a connector to plug into the car. As I recall we bought the connector, for 25 cents or so each. Then they'd tape it together. Maybe you just need to get a 10 year old who's into RC cars to help you. Like I said, I don't care for cordless tools.
Fri, Dec 29, 2006, 1:07pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth sayeth: <snip>Thanks, I priced the replacement cells and they were about $3 USeach + shipping + brokerage + aggravation. I had the battery apart and it did not seem to be a simple task to replace the cells. <snip>
I don't know how your batteries go together, but the RC battery packs had from 4 to 8 AA battery sized units in 'em. The kids were around 9-10 when they started making their own replacement packs. They'd get however many rechargable batteries, connect them with soldered wires, and a connector to plug into the car. As I recall we bought the connector, for 25 cents or so each. Then they'd tape it together. Maybe you just need to get a 10 year old who's into RC cars to help you. Like I said, I don't care for cordless tools.
Try these guys out:
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
They are in the US but they come highly recommended and rebuilt batteries are about half the price of new ones (for DeWalt anyways) when you account for exchange and shipping.
Michael
J T wrote:

No need to do that when there's plenty of places up here in Canada that can rebuild batteries. Magnacharge in Mississauga is what I use. I do it through my business name, but if they refuse to rebuild batteries for a private individual, then there's plenty of other places up here that rebuild also.
How are the prices and the resulting batteries? I am about to send mine off so your help/advice would really be appreciated!
Michael
Upscale wrote:

I've had my UPS batteries rebuilt and two Milwaukee cordless drill batteries rebuilt. They're all still working on those rebuilt batteries. As far as I'm concerned, they all came back working as well or better then when they were new. The cordless batteries cost me about $60 CA each. Not cheap, but most definitely cheaper than buying new.
Hmmm...not as cheap as I was hoping; the same price as sending them to the US. I will take my chances across the border. Thanks for the info.
Michael
Upscale wrote:

I'd be careful going this route. I don't know your battery size/quanity, so assuming you have a couple of 14.4 NiCads. It will cost you the following.
$76 ($38 x 2) per battery $21 shipping (They use UPS BTW) $20 UPS brokerage $6 UPS Disbursement Fee $4 UPS COD Fee
+ GST + PST (Which you have to pay here on the product only)
It works out to more than $60 USD a battery.