Source for Fiber Barrels

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a source for fiber barrels or drums so I can build my dust collector. Does anyone know where you might find one of these things? I called everywhere in my area and found zilch. The only ones I found online required minimum orders of 2 and were $30-40 each.
Thanks
tillius wrote:

Check car washes and hospitals...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

George wrote:

George...
Sometimes it helps a lot to hunker/shmooze [depends what part of the country you're in]. Mine came from a county hospital and had been filled with x-ray stop bath (acetic acid solution, as in cider vinegar). It might help to offer to return the favor with a knick-knack shelf or some small shop-made gift.
At worst, you should be able to have 'em give you a heads-up on the next drums going to the landfill...
If you're not too far (I'm guessing WI) and still want drums, I could put out the word locally - but you'd have to come pick 'em up.
There are drum recyclers in most sizable cities that will sell cleaned-up or relined drums for $20-25. I would have had to drag my trailer to Omaha (150 mi each way) - and elected to network instead.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Or ask at the landfill. <G>
My local transfer station is pretty good at noticing when certain items are "delivered, and glad to help out a taxpayer. Deli and restaurant gift certificates after a particularly heads-up find can also help.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Barry...
That's a great idea!
Once got some unauthorized forklift help from a really sweet gal at a client site - and got raked over the coals by the client security manager for violating the company's union agreement (no personal service allowed!) - I made sure the driver got a thank you note and that the receiving department got a whole bakery tray of sticky rolls next morning (I don't think I'll lack for forklift help in /that/ plant - ever.)
Bottom line: people like to help when they can; and like to be thanked when they do. (Imagine that!)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Check printing plants... Resins for the bindery come in them.
djb
--
Formosa's Law: "The truly insane have enough on their plates without us adding
to it."

Thank you thank you thank you - I called the local Culligan man and the guy went out to their 'old parts' yard, dug through the drums until he found a clean one, in good shape (no holes, etc) and a lid for it in great shape as well. Then he said, 'you can just have it, we toss them out anyway'...
WOOOHOOO - plus, I asked him about the stack of pallettes he had in good shape and he said help yourself anytime!
Tillius

Try a plastics molder. Most suppliers have gone to large containers and super-sacks, but I still see some in drums. There are also used drum dealers that may be able to help you. Check the Yellow Pages. Ed
Ed Pawlowski writes:

Good idea. A friend of mine used to be able to get them from a soft drink bottler, too. Their syrups--I guess--come in large plastic drums, which make fantastic trash barrels, indoors and out.
Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides
I have used plastic barrels and metal garbage cans. right now I use a plastic garbage can it works fine and it has handles to lift it with.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
tillman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (tillius) wrote in message

You didnt say what size you were looking for but try these guys: http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=CYFILCAN3&Category_Code=CYAC
http://www.dawginc.com/material-handling/fiber-drum-containers.asp
tillius wrote in

    Try a large hardware store and look for bulk chain barrels. I get some dandy's here locally. I am lucky enough have one in town that wholesales to a large part of the smaller HW stores in the state of Texas. The warehouse forman and I go to the same church, so it works pretty well.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
tillius wrote:

I found some 30 gallon plastic (plastique David/Luigi) barrels at the local car wash. They needed to have the tops cut (tops don't just lift off) and they stink a bunch from the soap/wax they contained (toned down a wee bit with a washing of Castrol SuperClean) and I'll need to silly-cone the rim but they are pretty heavy walled and look to be very adequate for the task.
One other thing, they are white plastic and transparent enough (semi-opaque) to maybe allow me to see when they need dumping.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Two suggestions...
Empty the barrels when you've collected 5 gal (more or less, depending on your setup) to prevent pulling the dust through the drums. I'd expected to collect a whole drum full of dust before needing to dump 'em, but kept watch through my transparent separator lids, and began to see dust passing right through the first drum when it was about 1/5 to 1/4 filled.
If you cut the top out inside the rim, try it out without any sealant between the rim and the separator lid. You may discover (as I did) that the sealant isn't needed. AFAICT, the dust collector pulls the lid down tight enough that additional sealing isn't needed.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

looks like it'll keep pumping dust in there until the barrel *and* the bag are full to the top. I bet that's interesting to empty.... <G>
hi bridger, I was wondering if you'd mind if I asked you to consider shortening your email address. The reason is that when viewing the group in Google, the email address pushes the topic in to a small area of the screen and your addy rules the roost. It's not a big deal, just that you see a lot less posts on a screen because the layout gets screwed up. Below is an attempt to show what happens:
subject snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com date etc subject more subject.
Normal subject with reasonable length snipped-for-privacy@email.sample
Anyway, if you'd consider it I'd appreciate it,
thanks,
--
Greg