Source for Fiber Barrels

I'm looking for a source for fiber barrels or drums so I can build my dust collector. Does anyone know where you might find one of these things? I called everywhere in my area and found zilch. The only ones I found online required minimum orders of 2 and were $30-40 each.

Thanks

Reply to
tillius

Check car washes and hospitals...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Check printing plants... Resins for the bindery come in them.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Check out your local water softener dealer. He may have some used fiberglass salt barrels. They make killer dust collector bins. I've gotten several and I had to do was to clean them up a bit and plug a couple of small holes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Try a plastics molder. Most suppliers have gone to large containers and super-sacks, but I still see some in drums. There are also used drum dealers that may be able to help you. Check the Yellow Pages. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good idea. A friend of mine used to be able to get them from a soft drink bottler, too. Their syrups--I guess--come in large plastic drums, which make fantastic trash barrels, indoors and out.

Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hope you have better luck than I. Liabilities being what they are, drums and useful stuff that used to be pilferable goes to the landfill.

Reply to
George

George...

Sometimes it helps a lot to hunker/shmooze [depends what part of the country you're in]. Mine came from a county hospital and had been filled with x-ray stop bath (acetic acid solution, as in cider vinegar). It might help to offer to return the favor with a knick-knack shelf or some small shop-made gift.

At worst, you should be able to have 'em give you a heads-up on the next drums going to the landfill...

If you're not too far (I'm guessing WI) and still want drums, I could put out the word locally - but you'd have to come pick 'em up.

There are drum recyclers in most sizable cities that will sell cleaned-up or relined drums for $20-25. I would have had to drag my trailer to Omaha (150 mi each way) - and elected to network instead.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I have used plastic barrels and metal garbage cans. right now I use a plastic garbage can it works fine and it has handles to lift it with.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I didn't say I couldn't circumvent procedure, I just said that it's no longer easy, for the reasons stated.

Thanks for the offer to help, but my reasoning behind the galvanized is still valid. I know they're fire-resistant, and I sometimes forget and suck up wet shavings from the lathe. They're also of a size and weight I can still handle at my advanced age.

As to drums of the POL variety, still have some c>

Reply to
George

Or ask at the landfill.

My local transfer station is pretty good at noticing when certain items are "delivered, and glad to help out a taxpayer. Deli and restaurant gift certificates after a particularly heads-up find can also help.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You didnt say what size you were looking for but try these guys:

Darrell

Barry...

That's a great idea!

Once got some unauthorized forklift help from a really sweet gal at a client site - and got raked over the coals by the client security manager for violating the company's union agreement (no personal service allowed!) - I made sure the driver got a thank you note and that the receiving department got a whole bakery tray of sticky rolls next morning (I don't think I'll lack for forklift help in /that/ plant - ever.)

Bottom line: people like to help when they can; and like to be thanked when they do. (Imagine that!)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Thank you thank you thank you - I called the local Culligan man and the guy went out to their 'old parts' yard, dug through the drums until he found a clean one, in good shape (no holes, etc) and a lid for it in great shape as well. Then he said, 'you can just have it, we toss them out anyway'...

WOOOHOOO - plus, I asked him about the stack of pallettes he had in good shape and he said help yourself anytime!

Tillius

Reply to
tillius

tillius wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Try a large hardware store and look for bulk chain barrels. I get some dandy's here locally. I am lucky enough have one in town that wholesales to a large part of the smaller HW stores in the state of Texas. The warehouse forman and I go to the same church, so it works pretty well.

Reply to
Michael Burton

I found some 30 gallon plastic (plastique David/Luigi) barrels at the local car wash. They needed to have the tops cut (tops don't just lift off) and they stink a bunch from the soap/wax they contained (toned down a wee bit with a washing of Castrol SuperClean) and I'll need to silly-cone the rim but they are pretty heavy walled and look to be very adequate for the task.

One other thing, they are white plastic and transparent enough (semi-opaque) to maybe allow me to see when they need dumping.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Two suggestions...

Empty the barrels when you've collected 5 gal (more or less, depending on your setup) to prevent pulling the dust through the drums. I'd expected to collect a whole drum full of dust before needing to dump 'em, but kept watch through my transparent separator lids, and began to see dust passing right through the first drum when it was about 1/5 to 1/4 filled.

If you cut the top out inside the rim, try it out without any sealant between the rim and the separator lid. You may discover (as I did) that the sealant isn't needed. AFAICT, the dust collector pulls the lid down tight enough that additional sealing isn't needed.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote: mucho snippage...

Yahbut, my system (MRT-5) will allow for the entire barrel to be full before I need to empty it.

See link.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

looks like it'll keep pumping dust in there until the barrel *and* the bag are full to the top. I bet that's interesting to empty....

Reply to
bridger

hi bridger, I was wondering if you'd mind if I asked you to consider shortening your email address. The reason is that when viewing the group in Google, the email address pushes the topic in to a small area of the screen and your addy rules the roost. It's not a big deal, just that you see a lot less posts on a screen because the layout gets screwed up. Below is an attempt to show what happens:

subject snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com date etc subject more subject.

Normal subject with reasonable length snipped-for-privacy@email.sample

Anyway, if you'd consider it I'd appreciate it,

thanks,

Reply to
Greg Millen