Source for bulk amount of pinewood derby wheels?

Was wondering if anyone knew a souce where I could purchase a large amount of pinewood derby wheels at a reasonable price (i.e not $3 for four wheels).
Trying to save our cub scout pack a little money by cutting the blocks myself. But obviously, I need some cheap wheels to pull this off. I'm not planning on opening a business or anything.
So far, my search has failed.
Unless the rules have changed, you must begin with their block as well. http://www.specialscouting.com/pwdr.htm Supposed to equalize the field.

How bout 50 for $5 bucks!
Googled "bulk toy wood wheels", I love the net.
By the way Pete, I think its a shame your not in the hall yet.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (pete rose) wrote in message

How bout 50 for $5 bucks!
Googled "bulk toy wood wheels", I love the net.
By the way Pete, I think its a shame your not in the hall yet.
with link this time http://www.chopperstoys.com/CatalogPartsWoodBeads.html
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (pete rose) wrote in message

I think he might be looking for the black plastic ones. At least, thats what I used when I was a kid. We used to do the propeller powered balsa wood rockets too -- lots of fun. Here's the cheapest ones I've found. A set is a 1.75
http://www.winderby.com/catalog4.html

Thanks for everyone's help. If a set of wheels is going to cost almost $2, I'm not sure it's worth my hassle to do this. But I'm going to continue to investigate. My thinking was that since no one in our pack goes to the regional races or whatever, it doesn't matter too much if we aren't completely up to legal, as long as everyone starts with the same materials. Still, I had planned on drilling holes for the axels on the drill press, but after thinking a bit, it's going to be tough to get them aligned perfectly on opposite sides (like both front wheel holes identically placed, think about it) I don't know if it's worth enduring the wrath of people who think they got screwed. In fact, the more I think about it, this would be a very thankless project.
pete rose did say:

Drill the hole first, then turn the wheel on the lathe. Your axles will be centered since you turned the wheel centered on the location of the axle hole. But I think you're right. It's going to be a thankless task.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

I suspect the wordmangler really meant to refer to the kerf/hole to insert the axle pins in the block. The URL points to prebored wheels.
If you're going hole, no problem to set a fence and stop for the DP and have at it.

thats
balsa
A set

George did say:

No. I guess I shoulda read the entire thread. I assumed he was turning wooden wheels.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

pete rose wrote:

Hah. There will be somebody there with a micrometer and a dial indicator jumping up and down and screaming at you about tolerances.
People take that stupid thing WAY too seriously, and it ain't the kids jumping up and down.

Very thankless. How expensive are those kits anyway? How many cubs do you have?
On 19 Oct 2004 11:58:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (pete rose) wrote:

Have you tried the Lee Valley Hardware catalog pg. 137? Lots of hardwood wheels for 11-60 cents apiece (less if you buy a quantity) If you were to buy 100 1" diameter ones, it'd only be $8. 500 would be $35, and would probably last you forever.