Source for Amber Glass (for Stickley Repro)

I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Look in the yellow pages under Stained Glass supply and or a Hobby Lobby if you have one near. Stained glass supplier or retail stores should have hammered, glue chip, antique etc.

Try rec.crafts.glass, or just look at local suppliers. Art glass is pretty easy to get hold of these days.
Stickley used some pretty ugly glass. Modern glass offers far more range and some more attractive patterns and textures. I'm working on a lot of Craftsman design stuff these days, in conjunction with a local glass worker, and we're having a great time with it. My favoured stuff is a brown and white "cloudy ripple" with a surface that's nominally made flat, but actually has a small texture to it. Works beautifully with fumed oak and is a lot more subtle than the pressed surface "hammered" glass that was popularly used around 1900.
You'll probably end up using German glass. It's expensive, but the Californian glass I've seen was a truly insane price.
--
Smert' spamionam

Jim Kooi wrote:

glass you need.
Philski
www.delphi.com stained glass supplies. if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more. rich

stained glass is almost always better to buy in person. you get colors and texture you want, unless you're buying something that has a constant color or can trust the people picking from the racks to translate what you tell them. they'll cut it to the size you want. also, shipping on glass is a lot, especially if you're only getting a few sheets. a full crate, on the other hand, is relatively cheap.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
res055a5 wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:37:17 -0500, WoodMangler

Try www.alpineglass.com , www.delphiglass.com , www.spectrumglass.com , and last but not least, www.uroboros.com .
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------
spake the words:

actually, unless you buy a full crate or are near spectrum or uroboros (throw in kokomo http://www.kog.com/ or bullseye http://www.bullseyeglass.com /), you can't buy from the factory.
try http://warner-criv.com/ for a really good selection.

If you are making one of these cabinets why would you ever think of making it with amber glass. It is much easier and a far a more elegant design with leaded glass. You can get the leading done easily in any area of the country.

Equally, why would you ever use fumed oak as a finish, when biscuit joints are so much quicker ?
Sorry, your comment just doesn't make any sense.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I think you missed my point, these cabinets were made three ways. A solid wooden door, an amber glass door and a leaded glass door. The variation with leaded glass is the most pleasing of the three. If you were going to spend the time and effort to make one. Why wouldn't you make the finest one you could. Michael
ranted:

You missed the word "reproduction" didn't you miss, Michael? He wants an exact replica, and that calls for precisely the glass Stickley used and specified: "hammered amber."
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=yglass&query=hammered&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yglass.com%2Fnsearch.html found a source...above. rich

Thanks everyone. Rich, your link took me to what looks like possibly the perfect stuff (Wissmach "Cathedral" hammered amber), and it turns out there are several big art glass stores within about an hour's drive (I'm in Ann Arbor, MI.). Delphi is one of them (Lansing, MI) and they carry Wissmach so I'll start there.

Jim Kooi wrote:

Jim
I have worked with stained Glass for several years form lamps to doors and windows. Most of the information has already been posted excellent sources online are Delphi, Warner Crevillaro in PA. If you are loking for a particular texture and color I highly suggest you look at various glass in person close to where you live. Glass will vary greatly in texture and color especially if you are looking at expensive European hand rolled glass. It is not easy looking at pictures of glass to appreciate the textures and color especially under a light (amazing difference).