Source for a three phase start switch?

My new band saw has a three phase 3 HP motor. The magnetic switch is broken (the saw runs fine if I bypass the switch).

I can't find a source of three phase magnetic switches. Anyone have one to sell, or can offer a commercial source (no luck on ebay for a week)

Thanks!

Merle

Reply to
Merle

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Betcha Grainger or McMaster-Carr has them as well. MiniMax also sells

3phase machines, betcha they also could supply a switch

However, BEST folks for a new switch that will FIT would be the folks who made/sold the saw, have you contacted them???

John

Reply to
John

You need a magnetic motor starter complete with a start/stop switch.

NEMA size 0 will do the job.

Any decent industrial electrical distributor can help you.

BTW, you need the FLA shown on the nameplate to select the correct overload heaters.

Don't be shocked at a $200 price tag, it will be within 20% of that.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Merle, Your having a jargon problem -- it is refered to as a motor starter instead of a motor switch, and I just did a quick search on e-bay and there are a bunch otherwise Grainger has 'em but ouch their expensive Good Luck Frank

Reply to
Frank

Check to see if your present motor starter has a replacable coil. If so they are generally removed by taking out a couple of screws off the cover. Check the resistance of the coil and if it's open get a new one. Cheaper than a whole starter. Keep track of the relationship of any parts that come out with the coil (iron laminations) Mike in Arkansas.

Reply to
JMWEBER987

digital cameras are great for this kind of documentation.

Reply to
bridger

Not yet, it is in fact a mini-max (or rather SCMI) machine, though the starter is not original. I think the terminology lesson will help.

Thanks gyys!

Merle

Thanks Jack! $60 Though I think I'm going to have a crack at repairing the one that's on there

Merle