Source for 1 Micron bags?

My inherited Woodtek 1hp DC is working fine - but after reading about fine dust I've decided to find 1 micron bags for it. I *have* found bags at Penn State Industries, for about $79 (ouch?) Maybe this is a great price - but are they the best bags? I would only like to spend this once...

Any experience with this would be most helpful.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Ruiter

American Fabric Filter will set you up with an oversized top bag for about the same price. You can use the existing lower bag and line it with a trash can liner.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Wouldn't going from a dual 5 micron (standard size?) to a single 1 micron and a sealed bag really reduce the amount of airflow that is achievable through the dust collector? Since they operate on flow rate, it seems that this would be a really bad idea.... Just curious..

Reply to
Subw00er

so what if it reduces it? if it still pulls the chips out of the equipment, it's better for YOU to be using a one micron bag.

dave

Subw00er wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

My air flow INCREASED when I went with the 1 micron felt bag...a lot. Of course the 1 micron bag is physically larger to allow for more airflow, but I think the felt just breathes better than the other stuff.

The advantage to ordering from someplace like American Filter (at least I think that is where I ordered mine) is that they custom manufacture the filters based on your dust collector and shop space. I have limited head room so they made mine shorter with a larger diameter.

Wood magazine did a story on the filters about a year or so ago and they found that on all but the most expensive dust collectors the aftermarket

1 micron bags provided better air flow than the ones supplied with the collectors. If you really want to know I can rummage through the old mags and find the issue number.

Jim

"Subw00er" wrote in news:4SfYb.21572$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Reply to
Jim

Ditto what Jim said.

My top bag was custom made to fit my shop space, and stops just short of rubbing on the floor joists above while overhanging the dust collector rim by at least 8-10 inches. The air flow increased over the POS 30 micron bags that Grizzly ships, and since the lower bag doesn't breath any more, there is no drop off in air flow as the lower bag fills.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Oh, I didnt know they were physically larger/taller. I was thinking about upgrading to 1 micron, but I have a semi-low ceiling. How much taller are they?

Reply to
Subw00er

They are as tall as you'd like them to be. They are custom made.

You can make up for shorter bags by making them wider. Their customer service is very friendly, just take your measurements and give them a call.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE