Sound Proofing

OK, so I bought a new house and didn't check with the city. So I end up living next to a small hiway. I'm a woodworker. I can add on and protect myself from the noise :-). The single pane aluminum frame windows, work pretty well (sigh). Luckily I have 2000 sq. ft. of clear acrylic I have left over from another project. How would you go about building simple, storm type windows to stuff in my stucco, unframed window holes? Oh yeh, I have 13 windows about 3 ft by 6 ft.. I love living in Florida.

Reply to
news.cfl.rr.com

If I understand you correctly, I think I would mount the Plexiglas (?) on the inside with little button thingy-ma-bobs. = ^-^

Reply to
Gary

In answering your first question, typically the single pane builder windows leak air and sound. I personally had storm windows added to my house about

10 years ago. These windows did not replace my existing single pane windows rather they were complete window units built to attach directly to my existing window frames. I now have a much quieter house and very little dust on the window sills. If you attach to your existing windows you do not want to attach metal to metal as this transfers heat. My storm windows are aluminum framed but have a vinyl insulator between them and the regular aluminum windows. I might suggest that you do a trial setup to see if the acrylic is going to accomplish what you want before getting too far into the project. Maybe cut the pieces to the size of the window opening and packing insulation or foam rubber around the edge to seal the opening and see if this works with sound reduction to your satisfaction.

How did you buy a house and not know where it was going to be located?

Reply to
Leon