Soul-searching question we must all ask ourselves

If I have to use filler (even a little bit) am I a failure? Not as fatuous as it sounds, actually. I had a friend who reckoned that the less he spent on filler, the more skillful he was becoming at woodworking. OTOH another friend of mine had a cabinet full of different types and colors. His philosophy was that getting close and then tuning up with filler was entirely legitimate and, in fact, part of the woodworker's craft. As long as it's well filled, the look achievd is the important thing. (BTW I am including sawdust mixed with glue in the definition of "filler".) Personally, I'll use a little as long as it isn't noticeable.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

And then there's the dutchman. The filler that's can be considers "a feature".

Reply to
Stephen M

This is the equivalent of using caulking to fill in the gaps in joints when doing trimwork.

Reply to
efgh

Depends... Is your goal to have fun making functional furniture, or to make flawlessly beautiful furniture without any filler? In my opinion, one of the main problems with filler is when it's used to fill in a gap in a joint or a crack, and then when the wood moves, it leaves a ragged crack in the filler that I find distasteful. Not that my joints are perfect, but I'd rather fill gaps with a sliver of veneer or something if possible. Of course using filler to cover up your brad nails because you're taking shortcuts is a different matter

- but again, that gets back to your goals for woodworking.

If the spot to be filled is not visible, and not structural, why fill it at all? If it's only slightly visible, I don't see (no pun intended) a problem with a little bit of filler. If it's a structural gap that needs filling, say, in an important joint, I'd try to either glue in real wood (i.e. a toothpick, veneer, small wedge, etc.) or use epoxy with wood dust or something else that's really solid (NOT gorilla glue, even though that foams up and appears to fill gaps).

Well, that's my 2 cents... Andy

Reply to
Andy

Doesn't everybody do that? :-)

I agree that the better the craftsmanship, the less the need for filler. However, if you're still learning, and/or you can't afford the highest quality, most accurate tools, a judicious use of filler sure can cover up a multitude of sins.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Filler? Caulking?....meh... painters' job

Reply to
Robatoy

Even if they won't fess up to it, you can bet that they do.

Perfection in woodworking would just as boring as it is in music, or femininity ... which brings to mind a soul searching question of a similiar kind:

I played a BIG, fashionable gig in the Astrodome last night.

I mentioned to SWMBO when I got home that if the women in attendance would have had to check all plastic at the door, there wouldn't have been a visible tit, or lip, in the house.

Most appeaared to be a disturbing cross between Nancy Pelosi and Anna Nicole Smith ... and about as attractive as the Ubangi lipped deer-in-the-headlights they looked like.

IOW, are young guys really that stupid/gullible??

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Is this a rhetorical question?

It seems to me that the Youth-Testosterone combo is alive and well. It can also be quite dangerous!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Now you see, Swingman, some of us older guys have learned to think with the upper brain occasionally. It has a completely different set of standards than the lower brain we thought with exclusively as young bucks.

For the record, if I was going to choose a woman on the basis of looks alone, I'd want to compare them as they look when they first roll out of bed in the morning.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

That, sir ... was indeed the focus of my entire youth!

Reply to
Swingman

Does there not seem to be something amiss/deeply disturbing about testosterone being turned on by plastic filler?

Reply to
Swingman

I find that it usually makes things worse than if you'd just left it alone. A little gap here, a tiny bit of chip out there. They look more significant when you are putting the thing together and think "Look at that horrible gap!" but once it's all together it pretty much disappears unless you go looking for things that are wrong.

My dad seems like he goes looking for things to put filler in, like somehow the project is not complete until a certain putty quota has been met.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Tue, Feb 27, 2007, 9:53am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FoggyTown) doth query: If I have to use filler (even a little bit) am I a failure?

Yep, definitely. Loser.

The way of your prediciment is to lie about using it. No prob. I've never used filler.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Now, I've read down a bit on this thread and seen the frat boy responses of robatoy and swingman (bad dog, bad dog!)

Do not pay any attention to those knuckleheads.

When you are at the point where you have to use filler, the only ratonal test is the Duck Test.

If it looks like a duck and it smells like a duck, and if every other sonofabitch on earth says it's a duck...

You might still be OK.

I say, slather that filler on.

That's one less sumbitch that is taking work away from me.

(Yeeehaahhh - hope you got the point...)

Reply to
tom watson

Cool

Probably more like that desperate.

Mark & Juanita

Ah, with age, truly comes wisdom.

Mark & Juanita

A pretty women makes her husband look small it very often causes a system fall As soon as he marrys her then she starts looking for things that will break his heart but if you make an ugly women your wife you'll be happy for the rest of your life An ugly women will put peals on that and she'll always give you a piece of that.

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life Never make a pretty women your wife Go for my personal point of view Get an ugly girl to marry you

Don't let your friends tell you you have no taste go ahead and marry anyway Her face is ugly her eyes don't match take it from me shes a better catch

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life Never make a pretty women your wife Go for my personal point of view Get an ugly girl to marry you

Dude 1:say man Dude 2:hey man Dude 1: I saw your wife the other day Dude 2: Yeah Dude 1: Yeah and Shes Ugly Dude 2: Yeah shes Ugly but she sure can cook baby. Dude 1: Yeah

Reply to
Robatoy

Just don't go around humming that afterwards ...

Reply to
Swingman

My will to live, my love of life itself will prevent me from humming that within earshot of Angela. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

lol

Robatoy