SOT- Feelin' Guilty about buying Chinese This n That...

WASHINGTON (AP) - The trade deficit jumped to the second-highest level in history as surging demand for foreign oil swamped a small gain in U.S. exports, the government reported Thursday. America's trade gap with China hit an all-time high as retailers stocked up on cell phones, toys and televisions in preparation for Christmas sales.

The worse-than-expected trade performance in August -- a deficit of $54 billion -- represented a 6.9 percent widening from July's trade gap of $50.5 billion. The record monthly deficit was set in June at $55 billion.

In August, the trade deficit with China climbed to a record $18.1 billion, pushed higher by a surge in demand for cell phones, toys and games, televisions and VCRs as U.S. retailers stocked their shelves in advance of the holiday shopping season.

[ They don't mention 'dorkin tools, but I'm sure we in there somewhere... ]
Reply to
patrick conroy

If it makes you feel better, putting the trade gap into perspective, the record $18.1 billion might amount to 1 or 2 hours of consumer spending in the U.S.

Reply to
Leon

I buy from wherever makes it best. If this is China (my titanium bike frame), then I'll happily buy Chinese.

The solution to an excessive trade in cheap crap is not to buy cheap crap. We're all too affluent - far too much property around means that ownership has itself been devalued. How can you take pride in a piece of furniture when it's just $25 from Ikea ? Have less - but have better.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sometimes you have no choice. I went to buy a toaster recently. Every single one was made in China. Tools are getting more and more from overseas even if we want to buy US.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The daughter wanted an over the range microwave. We strolled down the micro aisle at the borg, and she opens an E-wave. I says "Made in Korea". I says "you don't want that". As we opened all the others, GE, Maytag, Fridge, all the "US" made brands - every damned microwave is made in Korea! I would guess, after taking a look, they all may have come out of the same factory.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

patrick conroy wrote: [snip]

We have to keep making nice with the Chinese. The People's Republic owns a fair chunk of our $7 trillion nation debt. twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

IMHO get the tool that offers the most value to you personally. Buying more expensive or inferior hurts every body including the factory worker. The locals need to learn to compete if they expect to remain in business. One day it will be too late to learn to compete. Now is a good tome to learn.

Reply to
Leon

Soooo, since EVERY microwave is made in Korea, how do I tell which is the best value and what do the "locals" have to do with it, and who are the "locals" competing with, and isn't it already a little "late"?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

We have a tank of a toaster. The Peterbuilt of toasters. It's a c.1955, chrome and bakelight Kenmore that I picked up for a buck at my local thrift store. Made in USA. Pops up a beautiful piece of hot toast just begging for a slab of butter.

Have also forked over a few bucks for a chrome and bakelight waffle iron, chrome clothes iron, and a polished aluminum(?) B&D drill - all made in the US of A. How many of the plastic, Asian-import toasters, irons and drills you all are buying today will still be working as the day they were boxed at the factory come 50 years?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Andy, Andy, Andy. I know you've been contributing to the group for quite a while - with some excellent responses, BTW - but maybe you didn't realize that most here are Americans...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

He probably didn't, because that mental squirt doesn't have a clue about anything. Look at the banal and useless things he makes and takes such pride in! Talk about someone who ain't got a life! His real name must be Andy Dingleberry, and the world is a worse place since his pitiful mother spawned him/it. I wish he'd make himself a coffin out of that scrap wood he uses, and bury himself in it alive, and very, very deep.

Peace, Rb

Reply to
Rb

LOL... I knew that I probably should have posted this some where else. In this case it would be hard to tell since each one appears to have been made in one location. And yes in this case, it may be too late. I went through this during the spring, buying a new microwave to replace a 1978 model and every sales man knew SQUAT about the microwaves. Man these things do 10 times as much as they did back then for 1/4 the price.

Reply to
Leon

I posted this article before but it fits in better here. It is an article about how economist Paul Samuelson has done an about face on globalism and says it will cause grave problems in the country that is pushing all its labor off-shore, specifically mentioning China.

This is the quote I especially like:

"Samuelson's insight is that if a low-wage country like China suddenly makes a major productivity leap in an industry formerly led by the United States, the result can be a net negative for the American people. Although American consumers may benefit via low-low prices at Wal-Mart, their gains may be more than outweighed by large losses sustained by laid-off American workers."

As before, I am hesitant to quote the entire article because of copyright laws but here is the url to read it yourself:

Ray Kinzler

I suspect that the potential laid-off American workers had better start becoming more competitive and learn to survive in world economy.

Reply to
Leon

This is something Brits of my Dad's generation realised twenty years ago, when that bloody Thatcher woman closed down manufacturing in favour of a "service" economy. You can't all survive just by taking in each other's washing. If no-one makes anything any more, then the whole business eventually grinds to a halt. Outsourcing manufacturing to China is perhaps a bigger issue in the USA than in the UK, simply because we already lost so much of our manufacturing 15 years ago.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

probably dae woo (sp)... they make everything from computers to cars..

Reply to
mac davis

Rb did say:

Jeez, Rb... What'd AD do to you? That's at least two death wishing flames today. Not that I care about AD one way or the other, I'm just curious.

Peace???!!! Not with AD obviously.

Reply to
WoodMangler

If this makes you feel better, Chinese are buying stuffs from many other Asian countries (most of them are US allies), assembling those stuffs together and selling the finished products to US. In a way, the large trade deficit with China is simply a repackaging of the large trade deficit that US used to have with other Asian countries. Now the trade deficit takes a detour to China and get re-labeled as a trade deficit with China.

China has very little natural resource other than human resource. If China needs to sell something, China needs to import it from foreign countries in a form of raw materials or partially finished components. That is the reason China has trade deficits with the rest of the Asian countries (particularly Japan). In the end, China has a small surplus; this is not like China is rolling in money. Please bear in mind that China sells a lot of stuff to US, but US also sells a lot of stuffs (like military equipments) to Asian countries, and those Asian countries sells a lot of stuffs to China. This is like a loop. Therefore, we cannot simply look at the trade balance with China in isolation. We need to look at the big picture.

If US wants to improve its overall trade balance, US needs to sell more stuff to the rest of the world. US has plenty of raw materials that can sell -- start by opening more oil fields in Alaska. This is a question of whether US (government and people) has the will to do this.

The other way is to cut the defense budget or downsize the government, and channel the money (in the form of tax saving) to private sectors in order to increase the capital investment on US industrials. This is to improve the productivity of US industrials. Honestly, I don't know if this will work though (US companies could send the money aboard and opened a state of the art factory in China); therefore, I don't say anything more on this.

There are other things that US can do well and could have sold well. High tech military equipments are things that US is doing very well and could have sold well. Afterall, US has spent so much money developing those weapons. But for one reason or another, US cannot simply sell these high tech stuffs to any country discriminably. This means US has very great stuffs that US could have sold but cannot sell.

In other words, there are many great stuffs that US could have sold, but cannot sell for some reasons. This will go a long way explaining why US has a large trade deficit.

If US doesn't want to sell more stuffs to the world, US will need to find a way to buy fewer stuffs from the rest of the world either voluntarily or being forced on. Seem like if the budget deficit keeps increasing like this, US currency may drop its value. IF this happened, we would not afford to buy that many stuffs from the rest of the world, and the trade deficit would be taken care of in this way. Oh well...

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

WoodMangler did say:

Looking at your headers, they match the news server of only one other person on the rec. Can't say why you despise AD so much, he didn't seem to participate too much in the political threads you were so fond of until recently.

Reply to
WoodMangler