SOT- Feelin' Guilty about buying Chinese This n That...

Page 1 of 5
WASHINGTON (AP) - The trade deficit jumped to the second-highest level in history as surging demand for foreign oil swamped a small gain in U.S. exports, the government reported Thursday. America's trade gap with China hit an all-time high as retailers stocked up on cell phones, toys and televisions in preparation for Christmas sales.
The worse-than-expected trade performance in August -- a deficit of $54 billion -- represented a 6.9 percent widening from July's trade gap of $50.5 billion. The record monthly deficit was set in June at $55 billion.
<snip>
In August, the trade deficit with China climbed to a record $18.1 billion, pushed higher by a surge in demand for cell phones, toys and games, televisions and VCRs as U.S. retailers stocked their shelves in advance of the holiday shopping season.
[ They don't mention 'dorkin tools, but I'm sure we in there somewhere... ]

If it makes you feel better, putting the trade gap into perspective, the record $18.1 billion might amount to 1 or 2 hours of consumer spending in the U.S.

Welll......it's all in the labor, and lack of environmental laws. I read an amazing article about what sometimes happens to the world's old computers. China has enormous landfills made up of only junker pcs. Labor is so cheap, it is actually economically feasible to have people actually stripping them for parts, screws, wire, even down to the level of using acid to leach the precious metals out of the circuit boards. The areas where they do this are so polluted, the people who live nearby have to bring in bottled water to drink. Scary.
snip > "so polluted, the people who live nearby have to bring in bottled water to drink."
Why do Americans buy so much bottled water then?

an
cheap,
them
are

Paranoia? Because it tastes better than the chlorinated stuff? Because they can afford to spend money on water? I don't think they HAVE to, I think they LIKE to. Big difference. I dunno -- I have a well.

IMHO there is a sucker born every 10 seconds. I would imagine 10% have a good excuse. Much cheaper to filter your own water than to pay some to filter it for you.
Filter?
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:33:12 GMT, "Leon"

Never heard of a filter?

Yeah. A kitchen sink filter, refrigerator filter, or whole house filter. Or buy the PUR water pitcher and you get crystal clear water. Much of the bottled water is simply city water filtered and bottled.

Because they have more money than they know what to do with and they're stupid.

some of us. lots of us live in places where we've polluted our local water supplies.... where I live it's impossible to get a well drilling permit- I'm on top of a TCE plume.

If we wanted to level the trade deficit all we would have to do is require that any company shipping goods to the US had to document that their production was meeting all US environmental standards. You would see production moving back to the US in droves.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I agree with what you are all saying here. I am so thankful that my son is working for a company making war machines right now because that is all that I see that is safe in the US manufacturing area. I went to Sam's club today and wondered around looking at where the products were made. Almost everything I saw with any real manufacturing content (except washers, dryers and some tools) were made in China. Scares the heck out of me.
People like Rush Limbaugh seem to believe that we have always found a way to compete in the past. I am looking for someone to tell me how except for a very few areas (like high tech war machines).
wrote:

and
think
an
computers.
cheap,
them
the
are

Right, the washers and dryers are made in Korea. Take a look at the larger appliances and more and more are imports. Places like Best Buy are pushing a lot of them
This is correct. And the Korean appliances Best Buy is pushing is high end stuff, not the cheap stuff.

larger
pushing
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:08:28 -0400, "Eric Anderson"

We will compete again when the standard of living in those other countries rises to where it is no longer cost effective to transport the goods. Of course that will also be coupled with a drop in our own standard of living, but that may not be all bad.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I am afraid you are right there. The question is, how long will it take their standard of living to reach the level we are when our standards of living cross? What will our standard of living be at that time? Come on, Paul Samuelson, draw us a curve of THAT.
wrote:

is
that
today
dryers
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:16:17 -0400, "Eric Anderson"

It's actually pretty straightforward. Only the time question is hard to figure. Given current population levels our standard of living will need to drop down well into what we consider "developing nation" status before we will be competitive on the world market. Expect to see an economy where a car is a luxury and where 75% or more of your income goes to subsistence - i.e. food and minimal clothing. It is not a pretty picture, but the world's supply of resources is inadequate to give everyone much above that.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass did say:

Quite a bleak picture when you consider that the average American pays 55% of their income in taxes of one sort or another. Doesn't leave nearly enough for your 75% subsistence requirement.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:48:56 -0700, Tim Douglass

I think america will become a pirate nation before that. we have too many weapons and seem to keep putting people with the blood lust and the power lust in charge of them.