SOS: Just Fell - A BIG Mimosa

May end up in the fire place. Located mid Willamette Valley Oregon. Respond if interested. Dan
I had a Mimosa tree die on my property several years ago. It had a relatively straight trunk. I couldn't resist. I cut into managable lengths and stored the logs for about two years. When I cut the logs into useable boards, I was amazed at how beautiful the wood was. It was very dark with a nice grain pattern. On the down side the wood about choked me to death while machining it. I don't know if it was just a reaction I had, or if the wood has some toxicity. I couldn't find much on Google about the properties of the wood itself.
Wow, This past spring when I cut down a mimosa I too got a skin reaction.. Must be toxic! I was only using a chain saw so I'm thinking it may be the oils in the wood. .. SD
Mon, Sep 3, 2007, 9:51am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ron) doth sayeth: <snip>. On the down side the wood about choked me to death while machining it. I don't know if it was just a reaction I had, or if the wood has some toxicity. I couldn't find much on Google about the properties of the wood itself.
Try this. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=MIMOSA+WOOD+TOXICITY&btnG=Search
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It might be best not to burn a toxic wood in the fireplace.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA