Sorta Gloat

While clearing a parcel for a new Kingdom Hall, I ended up with several nice-sized (~12-14" dia) logs of American Elm. That's the gloat part.

The 'sorta' part is that we had let most of it go for firewood (free, no less!) before I realized what was being cut (there was box elder and mulberry growing with it and I had been cutting on those two species along one fence line while while spiritually mature (but wood ignorant) Brothers had been cutting the elm along another fence line.

It was a pretty big tree ... I got enough for perhaps 2 doz. bowls and

50-60 pens. But there WERE branches large enough to justify milling for the lumber.

I just turned my first couple of bowls from it. It turns awesome when wet(it spits!). I got both bowls (~9" dia x ~2" deep) turned to drying dimensions in under an hour each.

The grain is gorgeous ... easily the equal of any of the imported woods I have seen. It tore somewhat using a scraper, but looks like it will sand up nicely.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Congrats on getting some nice (and rare, these days) wood and putting it to good use! You wouldn't, by chance, be willing to sell one of your elm bowls when they're done, would you? I don't have a lathe yet, but I do love American elm... Andy

Reply to
Andy