Sorry to butt in.

Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.
I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone) could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify it.
Sorry I cant be more helpfull and ,once again sorry for butting in .
Thank you.

Post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - it's kinda hard to identify wood without seeing it.
in article yTrae.2003$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com, Doug Miller at snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com wrote on 23/4/05 1:15 pm:

Sorry I can't do that (at the moment) as my camera has gone u/s.
If it helps the wood had lots of little white flecks inbedded in the grain, like very fine sand. This goes through the wood and appears on each cut edge..
What i realy need to know is whether I need to move the diesel engine that is sitting on it off !
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:18:02 +0100, "Rory Manton"

Find a copy of Hoadley's "Identifying Wood" <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
It's too American a book to be perfect for identifying European species, but it's very well written, has a good section on how to go about identifying timber, and covers enough of the tropicals that it ought to sort you out.
It's worth buying, if you can't find it in a library. His other famous book, "Understanding Wood" is even better.
Rory Manton wrote:

http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/specs_mahog.html
--
Jack Novak