Sorry guys, I know you don't care about my neighbor's logging business,but,

Trees are dying all over the place in KY. Lumbermen are filling quotas and keeping us supplied with wood to work with. So, it's sorta' on topic. Besides, The death count dude is at it again. I just thought I'd cheer you up with some news about things dying, that will eventually make us some money. Or some dang fine furniture!
Tom in KY, Not hard to find.
Why are trees dying all over the place? I thought it was just a thing with the pines. Went to the Smokies a few years ago and there was nary a (living) pine to be seen. They were bringing in lady bugs to fight (?) whatever was killing them. On the way back home I noticed a lot of dead and dying pines in the southern part of Ky.
Kevin
Kevin L. Bowling wrote:

Chainsaws,
Seriously, I don't know. We had a terribly dry summer here in Western Ky. That may have a little to do with it. Good Lord, I don't think we need any more Lady bugs. We get over-run with them every spring. I've heard recently of a blight that may affect some of the trees. Indiana has done some mass cutting to try to slow it down. I'll post any information I hear about that in the coming months.
Tom in KY, Be careful sir, you may be sitting in the middle of a flame.
Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 6:57pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net doth burbleth: <snip> Seriously, I don't know. <snip>
Then why don't you ask the Forestry Service?
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

I'll call them in the morning. I promise, I'll e-mail you as soon as I find an answer!
doth

NO, post it here so we can all send JT the email.
Gary
: Why are trees dying all over the place? I thought it was just a thing with : the pines.
Nope. There are at least two other major problems: Asian longhorn beetles, which threaten all the maples and some other hardwoods, have infested Central Park and a number of other places. If they spread widely, goodby maple syrup and lumber.
And there's a blight affecting oaks in the West called sudden oak death, caused by a fungus. It's already killed many thousands of trees.
    -- Andy Barss

There is (or was just a couple years ago) a wide-spread Dogwood blight in the southeast. Plus, currently a Pine Bark Beetle infestation in the Ponderosas of the southwest.
I think much of this has to do with the hand of man. Areas have experienced notable changes in climate with certain diseases and parasites flourishing. Then consider that nature's cleansing method of fire has been, and will be, severely inhibited. Under these circumstances, the course of a disease or infestation may be the regional loss of the host tree species. In my opinion, these die-offs will continue for quite some time with new ones cropping up fairly frequently.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company