Sorry about this, read on.

Page 1 of 2

As an MVP, I know it is not the done thing to post test messages to non-test groups. But please bear with me as I need to prove a point to a guy I am trying to help. His ISP is insisting that he is not seeing his posts (to this group and others) for a long time, because he is using OE as a newsreader. I and another MVP cannot seem to get through to him that OE is a newsreader only, and is not responsible for the lateness of postings, his ISP and their servers are. I am therefore posting from my ISP to prove this point. (Actually his ISP carry no news servers of their own, but use Giganews.) Some of you may care to clarify what news reader and/or ISP you use just so that he knows it's not just me belabouring the point. Thank you for your patience.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Using Xnews, and news.verizon.net as ISP/newsserver.

--
Best regards
Han

His ISP is full of crap. Mine show up in seconds on most servers. That said, no news server is perfect and some postings are missed both on the SBC and Verizon servers I use.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /.

Well, I use news.individual.net, it's out of Germany, costs something like 10 or 15 bucks a year, and gives me excellent article retention, it's broken twice for minutes total in the last 5 years that I know of, and it posts and gets new messages extremely fast. He doesn't have to use his ISP's newsfeed; many of them are clueless and/or apathetic about Usenet. Give the experts a buck-50 per month and enjoy Usenet again. (No binaries, but for me that's not an issue)
Dave Hinz
OE for me as well.

I had the same problem with OE, I suddenly lost the ability to download new messages (I must have done something stupid with the computer).
My answer was to click on "Headers" in the top right of the screen, then everything returned to normal.
Hope this helps.
Oldun

Hi: I'm the guy with OE5.5 who has the 'problem'...with my ISP. You said you had a similar problem but clicking on 'headers' fixed it. Was it the icon that has two envelopes and reads 'get next headers'? I'll see if I receive this posting soon. Thanks.

that
their
Something must of worked! When I clicked on headers I received my posting in record time, less than a minute. Does that mean the ISP was somewhat correct and somewhat wrong and we were too? Is the 'known problem' solved by getting the new posts via the header icon and not thru the Tools menu?

that
their
Please see repsonse in OE5.5 newsgroup. In all this time, it never occured to me that your settings were wrong. It means the Tech at your ISP knows doodly squat about OE 5.5 and there is no "known problem". Kath
ENGLISH wrote:

Glad to have been some help English.
Oldun

posting
Sometimes header lists can get corrupted. It could happen at your end or as you download it from your ISP. Often it's just as simple as renewing your header list as you did. I wouldn't worry about what your ISP said about OE. If you really feel that OE might have been the problem, upgrade to a newer version or try one of the two dozen other newsreaders out there.

I use Agent via giganews (paid account) and have had no problems, perhaps a better newsreader than OE but then you still have the keyboard interface with the tactile manipulator problem.
Mark
I use Netscape 7.2, no problems except when Giganews hickups, which it does often. John
Rainbow wrote:

I use Thoth as my newsreader (Mac OS X 10.4.1), Shaw.ca as my ISP (and secondary newsserver), and supernews.com as my newsserver. My posts typically show up within 2 - 3 minutes.
djb
Rainbow wrote:

Thank you everybody for your responses. The OP has now forwarded all my posts to his ISP (GWI.com) for their response. I have further sent him the Google Groups link to this thread as he can't see it via his newserver!
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Forte Agent // news.airstream.com
Don't use OE but saw something about this on another group. Problem was reader was set to download 100 newest headers so he missed a lot of posts. Don't know if that helps or not. MikeM

Yes, his settings were not correct. He had/has it set for 50 headers. I am not sure he wants to change it either! Kath