Somewhat off topic with a little relevance to woodworking

Trademark law, like all civil/case law, includes a lot of gray areas. Trademarks can be very strong, particularly when they are fanciful, coined words such as Kodak, Xerox, Sawzall, Skil, or unusual words, such as Sony or Ryobi. Other, more generic and common words, such as Apple, Delta, Gorilla, or even Craftsman, have lesser protection that is restricted to a narrow category of goods. The purpose of a trademark is to identify a particular seller of goods or services, and the central question in any dispute is always whether the buying public is likely to be confused into thinking that, say, Delta faucets come from Delta Air Lines. In recent years, the doctrine of "dilution" has been added by state statutes, muddying the waters, so that trademark owners can claim that noncompeting, and even noncommercial uses, injure the value of their trademarks.

There has long been tension between trademark restrictions and use of personal names, but I'm sure you realize that a fellow named Tom McDonald is not really free to open up a "McDonald's Restaurant" in his home town. One of my law school professors wrote several law review articles on the right to use one's own surname in commerce.

Reply to
Mr Downtown

But isn't it some kind of crime or misrepresentation to call McDonald's a restaurant?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I can't eat that shit anymore. Just can't. The least offensive would be the egg mcmuffin, but I can't even handle the so-called hash-browns which WILL give me instant acid reflux. I can't think of anything else that gives me heartburn like that.

Angela runs a heart & stroke prevention clinic at the local hospital, and she brought home some stats on fat/calorific contents of fast foods. ONE BK Double Whopper (which I used to like) has enough calories for a day, enough fat for a week, and enough sodium for a month. UN-flippin-believable. Soon they'll be trying to sell salt-licks to consumers.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Well..., one common use for salt blocks where I come from was to put them in the forest prior to deer hunting season. When the season opened up, the hunters would be waiting to ambush Bambi.

Out of that context, the fast food folks are already selling salt blocks to the public.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

day, enough fat for a week, and enough sodium for a month. UN-flippin-believable. Soon they'll be trying to sell salt-licks to consumers.

I live in a neighborhood which has a fairly large Mexican-American population.

The grocery store stocks lard which is used in several Mexican dishes.

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya pick.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Growing up in the piney woods of North Louisiana in the '40s and '50s, lard and salt cured pork were considered staples. If the food on the table didn't contain lard, it was fried in it. It's been several years, but the last time I saw the data, that area of Louisiana, specifically, Natchitoches, had the highest rate of cardio-vascular disease in the nation. It was always somewhat assumed, that if a person's death wasn't accidental, it was from a heart attack or stroke.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

"Tom Veatch" wrote

Then again, there are worse ways to go than from a lifetime, however short, of good tasting food! Right now I'm seeing too many old folks living in misery basically because they're lived too long. Might sound cold, but it's something to take into consideration if you're not disposed in that direction.

IOW, pass some more of that fried chicken and gravy, cher! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

SFWIW

My mother worked a horse her entire life.

IOW, hard physical labor, something you learn if you grew up on a farm in the early 20th century.

She loved pork, especially fatty pork.

When mom entered the nursing home @101, they wanted to feed mom a balanced diet which included oatmeal for breakfast.

My mother hated oatmeal.

Had to negotiate a special deal so that mom got fried potatoes and fried sausage for breakfast EVERY morning.

Balanced diet be damned, it was fried potatoes and sausage till the end @103.

Other than that, she ate a very healthy diet.

Lots of fresh veggies, no sugar water, no alcohol, etc.

As the nursing home admitted, whose to argue?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bad stuff - it always gets ya sooner 'r later.

(I'm glad it was later. )

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Absolutely have to agree. Good to have both quality and quantity, but IMO, higher quality and lower quantity is better than the reverse. Lying around in a ole' folks warehouse is not my idea of the "Golden Age".

Sorry 'bout that,, but there ain't no more chicken. Finished off the last piece a minute ago..

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Well, it's certainly close to that to call one of their products a hamburger.

You've got nerves of steel to post the above and then sign off with their trade-marked name. ;-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You are not being tough... just dumb.

Reply to