Sometimes, Ya Just Need To Slow Down And Wait A Minute

Page 1 of 2
So here I am over the weekend finishing up a new bed for Claire (age 10) and I'm needing a laminate trimmer. Best I can do is to either pull the big gray one out of the router table or use the almost equally big blue plunge-o-matic. To make a long story short it got done but it was something of a pain in the ass with three horses teetering along the edge of a 3/4" panel.
By the way, Claire (age 10) loves her new bed.
This of course got me to dreaming of a trim router I could call my own. Granted I don't *need* a trim router as much as most tools/machines so I was willing to settle on something minimal, like a Porter-Cable 7310. Hell, I was even contemplating a, gulp, Ree-Oh-Bee given the fact that I'd not use it a whole lot, at least not as much as most tools/machines.
So, off to Amazon I go.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
$115 is not a bad price but I didn't really want to be spending that much on a trim router.
So, off to eBay I go. After a short search I find a new in box that was ending today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC51810993
At the time the bidding was at a reasonable amount but I stopped short of loading a snipe.
Maybe I'd wait until the woodworking show in February.
sigh... Toolus interuptus.
So, tonight Claire (age 10) is over at a friend's for a sleep over. St. Soozan and I use these occasions for restauranting those places where Claire (age 10) doesn't like to frequent and after a pleasing dinner of grinders, tato chips and a cola we begin the begets/the, as long as we're outs.
To the grocery store for a couple/few things, then to Kohl's for a new toaster (the piece of crap we have finally died!!!) and after that St. Soozan remembers that she wants new cranks for the casements so, "would it be OK if we go to Home Depot?"
No really, that's what she said.
So, while St. Soozan is looking at cranks I go to see what they have for trimmers.
There were two Porter-Cable 7310's, normally $90, marked down to $70.
Blink! Blink, blink!! Blink, blink, blink!!!
There is one left. It's at the Menomonee Falls (Da False) store on Q.
UA100, who would have been kicking himself right about now...

you sure kmow how to make a short story long ! lol.. nice catch BTW. or was that a drive buy? yeh you may sucketh just a tad...if i was to buy another router right now i would prolly be in devorce court forfittin all my hard earnt doe.
skeez

hey, tell her, that ain't a router, it's a laminate trimmer!
-Dan V.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:14:55 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

tried that while stepping in front of the 3 laminate trimmers on the bench ! it did not work. lol... she thinks a dozen or so routers is enough so we aggree to disagree.
skeez

Bonus points are awarded to a gloat with an interesting/scary/one-upmanship story attached.
Groggs
<snip of a totally unbelievable story of SWMBO suggesting a visit to the tool pushers...>
Nice catch! It's not a bad little rascal for the dough, particularly that dough.
Cruise on by Pat Warner's site, and see if he has a picture of the offset plexi base for the 7310. Makes me _much_ more comfortable using the trimmer, since I can keep my not-easily-replaced fingers further away from the spinning parts. And also see more easily what's going on at 30k rpm.
Dirt cheap, too, relatively speaking.
LRod posted on another thread about the tap-the-bit-with-the-wrench trick. It comes in handy.
Patriarch
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:47:50 -0600, Patriarch

tap-the-NUT-with-the-wrench.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

the catch.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

God as my witness. (right hand up in the air)
We did spend an overly long time at Kohl's (sWisconsin's answer to Target/only smaller with more crowded aisles) and I was a good boy at the grocery store so St. Soozan may have noticed I needed to destimulate/depressurize. One of the up sides to staying with the same wife for a number of years I suppose?

See now, I'd done that just yesterday at work (of course) and that's what really tipped the scales. Pat mentions this little guy is somewhat a pain to set up/use but he mentions something along the lines of "you'll die before this trimmer does" so in reality, I blame Pat Warner.
No really.

unbattens hatch, looks around, blinks...
Which thread?
UA100

I have the P-C 310. I love it. For a long time I was unhappy with the collet (" only) as it is not a self ejecter like the superb collets in full sized P-C routers. In fact I used to keep a small roundover bit in it all of the time to avoid having to change (not a bad bit to keep in there; I rarely felt the need to change). However, several people have told of the trick of tapping the collet nut with the wrench after loosening and the bit slides right out. Once I tried it and found that it worked great, I elevated the '310 to the category of "Perfect." You can't go wrong with it. The 7310 is not the same machine, by the way, despite the similar model numbers.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

That's one of them.
I got my trimmer in late November, a year ago. Convinced myself that I needed it, in order to complete the quilting worktable I was making for LOML. And it did the job, quite well. I bought it when HD was having a 20% or so discount on power tools, which didn't come along every day.
So about mid-December, working in the shop, our eldest son drops in, as I'm doing some mini-routing. Takes him about 30 seconds to figure out that I've gone and purchased for myself the same present that he and LOML have purchased for me. She was on slow boil for several days. Son asked what I would like to have as a second choice? KBodies!
She doesn't try to purchase handplanes for me, since that unfortunate incident regarding the timing of the arrival of a heavy package from one P. Leach, of Ashby, MA.
I guess that I've built up a few credits over 32 years. I know she has.
Patriarch
LOL, figures. I'd just be thankful that the little lady knows enough about your hobby to know what you want. That's a rare quality in a hobby like ours.
--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
Jeff P. wrote:

And yes I am.
UA-100, who got a Lamello for his birthday...

OK, now you suck.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

damn you..!!!!!!!!!!!. and a drive by to boot !! just when you thought you sucketh too much... lol..
skeez
Dang Keeter. Now what the hay are you going to shop for at the Really Big Shew? I would have paid money to see you explaining to the product reps how the thing wasn't really as precise as they thought it was. Personally, I'll be looking for 2 or 3 of those new fangled powdered metal turning tools...drool!!!
--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The

Sometimes things just fall into place, don't they? Congrats.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita wrote:

It's scary leading a charmed existence. Makes you wonder when/were the slats will be kicked out from under you.
UA100, watchful/waiting...

I worked for a really wonderful boss, 5 or 6 years ago. We were in a booming industry, making obscene (really) amounts of money, but working our a$$e$ off. He had two catch phrases, which kept us grounded.
"Fat cows. Skinny cows."
"It's a two week rolling contract."
Shoes drop. Sometimes, there's not much you can do about it, other than pick them up again.
Patriarch, blessed in so many ways...
Unisaw A100 wrote:

And then when you got back to the house she said "Would it be OK if we have sex?"