Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

Page 3 of 3

I see your link has you showing the new style of Bessey's. Do you have any of the old style to compare them to? Have you seen any great benefit to the new style over the old ones? I've got the old style and haven't bought any new ones.
Yes, I've seen the adverts, but I'd rather hear a practical opinion from a real user.

I have used the old style Besseys, I have always preferred my Jorgensen Cabinet Masters. My latest purchases have been the Revo Bessey's.
Currently in the K-body style clamps I have 10 Cabinet Masters with 10+ years of use, 7 Bessey clamps with about 4 years use, and 2 Jet clamps with about 8 years use.
When the smoke clears I still prefer the Cabinet Masters for my money.
The new Besseys IMHO are smoother functioning than the older style, not as crotchety. But still not as easy to use as the Cabinet Masters. The Bessey clamps are now comparable to the Cabinet Masters in terms of the size of the clamping surface. I am careful not to let glue drip on the bars as I have heard that Bessey K bodies don't work well or as smoothly with a contaminated bar. This for me has never been an issue with the Cabinet Masters and I got a lot of glue on the bars before I learned that it could be a issue with the Bessey clamps. The Bessey clamps are not as tough as the Cabinet Masters. I don't like to admit this but I on several occasions have dropped my clamps on a concrete floor. Plastic chips break off of the Bessey clamps, I have not noticed any thing damaged on the Cabinet Master housings. The moveable foot on the Cabinet Masters is terrific if you are using clamps that are longer than your work surface. The feet on the Bessey's are not adjustable and useless on a smaller work surface.
The Jets look good on paper. In real use, by comparison to the Cabinet Masters and the Besseys, are considerably more difficult to get a good feel for how tight you are clamping. The clamp screw mechanism is simply not as smooth as the other two brand clamps. And almost with out fail the Jet clamps leave indentations on the stock, no they are not being over tightened compared to the other two brands of clamps, the plastic clamping surface is harder.
My experience is that the Cabinet Masters are built to take abuse and still perform as expected. The Besseys need to be a bit pampered, the Jets, for me, were a purchasing mistake, they are my last go to clamp in my collection.

Thanks for the review. The main reason I asked is that I was considering the purchase of some new bar clamps. The new Bessey's put me off for some reason and I was looking for an excuse to sway me one way or another. You've done that. Lee Valley Tools has discontinued offering the Cabinet Masters for some reason, so I guess I'll have to find them somewhere else.

Actually if you look at the picture that I posted again the front Bessy has a chipped out spot on the right side plastic.
Anyway, you can some times find deals on the Cabinet Masters direct,
http://www.ponytools.com/index.php/jorgensen/bar-clamps
I have also deals, on occasion, on Amazon for sets of 4 clamps.
One last note. Although it is unlikely that you will find the original older Cabinet Master clamps you should be aware that the internal metal parts on the screw handle end were made out of aluminum. Almost with out fail all of these have failed, the aluminum broke. BUT not to worry Jorgensen through the Adjustable Clamp Company cheerfully replaced the handle parts of the clamps immediately. They ship you the replacement newer design, iron, screw handle assemblies for free. Typically the old style aluminum ones were silver and the newer iron ones are painted black.

Yeah, amazon.com does carry them. amazon.ca (Canadian) does not carry the Cabinetmaster clamps. Guess we're too backward up here. I'll have to search them out locally somewhere else.

See my post about the Groz clamp deal at Woodcraft. A good cheap way to augment your existing K-body collection without switching to a completely new style of clamp. I have a bunch of the older K-body clamps, and these are virtually identical.
That said, I agree with what Leon said. I don't own any Cabinet Masters, but I have inspected them closely and I do like how they use a smooth bar design rather than the serrated bars used by all other manufacturers. It is easy to get glue build-up on your bar clamps, and it's a pain in the ass to remove it from those serrated bars. The Cabinet Masters use very smooth chrome plated bars, and it seems like glue build-up would come right off.
I also agree with Leon's assessment of the Jet clamps. I have four, and I don't like 'em. The ONLY thing I like about those clamps is the "trigger" that keeps the jaws from sliding around on the bar unless it's released. This can actually be very handy in those times when you "only" have two hands.
I also have some of newer Bessey K-Body REVO clamps, and these are my favorite (keeping in mind that I don't have any Cabinet Masters to compare them to). As Leon said, they are much smoother than the older K-Bodies, with a larger clamping surface (which can actually be a downside in some circumstances; I have a bunch of lamination forms that would have to be modified to accommodate the larger heads on the REVOs). The rubber (instead of wood) handles are also MUCH easier to grip, and that combined with what appears to be better "gearing" on the leadscrew threads allows for much more clamping force, and much easier release when it comes time to remove the clamping pressure. I really like these clamps, but DAMN are they expensive!
ALSO (again), I have a set of Bessey K-Body REVO Juniors, which are pretty handy for light-duty stuff. The head size is about the same as the old Bessey K-Bodies, but the bar is lighter-duty, and the leadscrew is much smaller so you have less tightening force. They also have rather small wooden (instead of rubber) handles which I don't much like, and for some reason the jaws are designed to be not quite parallel until you apply some considerable clamping force. It's like they recognized that the clamps have some flex due to the light-duty bar, so they built some "acquired" parallelism into the design of the heads. Still, pretty handy little clamps for some things, and not nearly as expensive as their big brothers.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Are you referring to the Groz Parallel Clamp Set? Part of the problem is that Woodcraft is in the US. I live in Canada. Between shipping, exchange and duties, I'd get dinged a significant amount. Still, it's something to consider.

Yes:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2085883/42523/Groz-Parallel-Clamp-Set.aspx?refcode IN10RL&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=+Groz%E2%84%A2+8-Piece+Parallel+Clamp+Set+SAVE+%2480+-+NOW+%2499.99&utm_content=Laminated+Tops+10-3&utm_campaign%2F03%2F2013