Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

Greg Guarino wrote in news:l36kfe$var$1@dont- email.me:

"A couple of brads until the glue dries."

I don't think Norm ever pulled them out...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

One additional comment Leon, I looked at the quilts on the website with the clamp orgy photo. My wife is a quilter too. She has made hundreds of them to give to babies in the neo natal care unit she worked at for over 25 years.

Sooooooo, I showed her your wife's quilts. she liked them. Particularly the Texas quilt. Just let her know, another quilter approves.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I did that for some shelf edging years back; finish nails set and filled. Even at my modest level of woodworking, I wasn't that happy with the inconspicuous (but visible) marks it left. I was thinking of pocket screws. And I have discovered wedges since then as well.

Someone here said that since I used dowels I didn't really need clamps at all. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't have the confidence to try it.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:55:07 -0400, Greg Guarino

Was the edging painted or finished with something else? If you can feel the marks, (eg painted edging) then you may not have sanded them down properly. If you can just see the marks, but not feel them (eg varnish) then you might not have filled the nail holes properly.

Reply to
none

With pocket screws, you don't need glue.

When I don't have enough clamps, I've used pocket screws as clamps to hold thicker-than-usual solid wood edge banding, then taken the screws out. Technically, I could've used only the screws, but in this case, I was using hidden hinges and shelf holes and some other attachments and didn't want to risk finding a screw when drilling for those things.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Even with proper filling & sanding and immaculate painting the filled holes can show up after a season of expansion and contraction.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:29:10 -0500, -MIKE-

Feel like arguing today eh Mike? Ok.

IF those set and filled nail hoes are not filled properly. I use wax filler sticks that do not show your expansion and contraction as you might have experienced. They come in various colours to suit your application. I use a colour just a little darker than what my stain or finish might be.

And, you should also know that I'm in Canada with summer and winter where expansion and contraction is a regular occurrence.

Reply to
none

Great idea I was thinking face frame clamps but that is a simple solution.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I see your link has you showing the new style of Bessey's. Do you have any of the old style to compare them to? Have you seen any great benefit to the new style over the old ones? I've got the old style and haven't bought any new ones.

Yes, I've seen the adverts, but I'd rather hear a practical opinion from a real user.

Reply to
none

Feeling passive aggressive? First of all, in this reply, I'm simply providing facts based on experience and knowledge gained from my 30yrs of woodworking. I

*thought* that was the intended purpose of this newsgroup-on-life-support. Any arguing is inferred on your part, perhaps due to my previous reply.... which leads to my second point.

Your first reply about breaking a pipe coupler when used as a wood clamp was so ridiculously absurd that I felt it was worthy of a very sarcastic retort. One of the problems in usenet is anyone can come in and make ridiculous claims (dust collector explosion, etc.) and people can read them and believe it. This is one reason I don't mind loudly calling "BULLSHIT" on these grossly exaggerated claims in the albeit naive hope that I can stop them before they become the mythical wives tales of tomorrow.

Depends on the wood, the finish, etc, etc, etc. If you bothered to read my reply instead of getting all offended, you'd see I explicitly referred to painted surfaces, not stain. You asked the question, "Was the edging painted or finished with something else?" I was offering my advice for paint. I have yet to find a paint that sticks to wax.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:32:59 -0500, -MIKE-

Well, you see Mike, it doesn't help too much to start off with an insult. It's you who appears to be trying to exacerbate this discussion into full blown argument.

You see, you keep telling me things that I've experienced and that I must be mistaken. I tell you what I'VE experienced and you keep telling me I'm wrong, just like the style bit that powered down on me. You weren't there so there's not much you can say to refute my experience. And you wonder about arguing? I suggest you have a good hare look in the mirror.

Cast iron can rust or crack and fail in a number of ways. Your insinuation that it's "BULLSHIT" is outright "CRAP" and you don't know what you're talking about.

And you chose to ignore the full intent of the question when I asked him how the counter sunk nails were finished.

And even there, you appear to be ill experienced. Yes, painted surfaces can experience the problems you mentioned. But, that takes time. I've filled nail holes (yes with my wax sticks) and they HAVE taken paint very well. Well, enough in fact that it's been a number of years on several projects and the counter sunk nails have not shown themselves. ~ a number of years that were not indicated by the original poster.

Reply to
none

Hummmmmmm!

Reply to
Leon

I used the pope clamp couplers for years and in a pinch still do, but I don't have enough pipe to get the 24 feet that I needed.

Reply to
Leon

So you're going back to some previous discussion from weeks ago? Ok, passive aggressive it is.

Oh ok, now they're rusty. Care to add any more weak specifications to your bullshit claim that pipe couples can break when used as extenders for wood clamps? What's next, they're PVC instead of metal?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have used the old style Besseys, I have always preferred my Jorgensen Cabinet Masters. My latest purchases have been the Revo Bessey's.

Currently in the K-body style clamps I have 10 Cabinet Masters with 10+ years of use, 7 Bessey clamps with about 4 years use, and 2 Jet clamps with about 8 years use.

When the smoke clears I still prefer the Cabinet Masters for my money.

The new Besseys IMHO are smoother functioning than the older style, not as crotchety. But still not as easy to use as the Cabinet Masters. The Bessey clamps are now comparable to the Cabinet Masters in terms of the size of the clamping surface. I am careful not to let glue drip on the bars as I have heard that Bessey K bodies don't work well or as smoothly with a contaminated bar. This for me has never been an issue with the Cabinet Masters and I got a lot of glue on the bars before I learned that it could be a issue with the Bessey clamps. The Bessey clamps are not as tough as the Cabinet Masters. I don't like to admit this but I on several occasions have dropped my clamps on a concrete floor. Plastic chips break off of the Bessey clamps, I have not noticed any thing damaged on the Cabinet Master housings. The moveable foot on the Cabinet Masters is terrific if you are using clamps that are longer than your work surface. The feet on the Bessey's are not adjustable and useless on a smaller work surface.

The Jets look good on paper. In real use, by comparison to the Cabinet Masters and the Besseys, are considerably more difficult to get a good feel for how tight you are clamping. The clamp screw mechanism is simply not as smooth as the other two brand clamps. And almost with out fail the Jet clamps leave indentations on the stock, no they are not being over tightened compared to the other two brands of clamps, the plastic clamping surface is harder.

My experience is that the Cabinet Masters are built to take abuse and still perform as expected. The Besseys need to be a bit pampered, the Jets, for me, were a purchasing mistake, they are my last go to clamp in my collection.

Reply to
Leon

I'll pass that along to her Lee, and thanks for looking. My wife belongs to a couple of groups of ladies that donate baby quilts and a bit larger quilts for a local woman's shelter.

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:14:35 -0500, Leon

Thanks for the review. The main reason I asked is that I was considering the purchase of some new bar clamps. The new Bessey's put me off for some reason and I was looking for an excuse to sway me one way or another. You've done that. Lee Valley Tools has discontinued offering the Cabinet Masters for some reason, so I guess I'll have to find them somewhere else.

Reply to
none

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:56:16 -0500, -MIKE-

Another insult.

No, just that there has to be a limit to all this 'discussion'. You'd have me launch into an increased assault of cursing and swearing. It's a waste of time in this case and accomplishes nothing.

Please show me exactly where I said "they're rusty". I used the word "or" not "and". I'd suggest you go buy yourself a decent pair of reading glasses, but you're reading what you want to see, not what is actually written.

Cast iron falls into the class of brittle materials. My assertion that cast iron can break or crack is valid and there's no proof printed or otherwise that you can produce to refute that. Your insistence otherwise only makes you look bad.

However, it looks like you've decided to use that as a reason to come after me again.

Ok, you've won this argument, I'm finished.

Reply to
none

Actually if you look at the picture that I posted again the front Bessy has a chipped out spot on the right side plastic.

Anyway, you can some times find deals on the Cabinet Masters direct,

I have also deals, on occasion, on Amazon for sets of 4 clamps.

One last note. Although it is unlikely that you will find the original older Cabinet Master clamps you should be aware that the internal metal parts on the screw handle end were made out of aluminum. Almost with out fail all of these have failed, the aluminum broke. BUT not to worry Jorgensen through the Adjustable Clamp Company cheerfully replaced the handle parts of the clamps immediately. They ship you the replacement newer design, iron, screw handle assemblies for free. Typically the old style aluminum ones were silver and the newer iron ones are painted black.

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:31:07 -0500, Leon

Yeah, amazon.com does carry them. amazon.ca (Canadian) does not carry the Cabinetmaster clamps. Guess we're too backward up here. I'll have to search them out locally somewhere else.

Reply to
none