Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

Page 2 of 3
email.me:

"A couple of brads until the glue dries."
I don't think Norm ever pulled them out...
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 10/10/2013 2:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I did that for some shelf edging years back; finish nails set and filled. Even at my modest level of woodworking, I wasn't that happy with the inconspicuous (but visible) marks it left. I was thinking of pocket screws. And I have discovered wedges since then as well.
Someone here said that since I used dowels I didn't really need clamps at all. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't have the confidence to try it.

Was the edging painted or finished with something else? If you can feel the marks, (eg painted edging) then you may not have sanded them down properly. If you can just see the marks, but not feel them (eg varnish) then you might not have filled the nail holes properly.

Even with proper filling & sanding and immaculate painting the filled holes can show up after a season of expansion and contraction.
--

-MIKE-

Feel like arguing today eh Mike? Ok.
IF those set and filled nail hoes are not filled properly. I use wax filler sticks that do not show your expansion and contraction as you might have experienced. They come in various colours to suit your application. I use a colour just a little darker than what my stain or finish might be.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p 069&cat=1,190,42997
And, you should also know that I'm in Canada with summer and winter where expansion and contraction is a regular occurrence.

Feeling passive aggressive? First of all, in this reply, I'm simply providing facts based on experience and knowledge gained from my 30yrs of woodworking. I *thought* that was the intended purpose of this newsgroup-on-life-support. Any arguing is inferred on your part, perhaps due to my previous reply.... which leads to my second point.
Your first reply about breaking a pipe coupler when used as a wood clamp was so ridiculously absurd that I felt it was worthy of a very sarcastic retort. One of the problems in usenet is anyone can come in and make ridiculous claims (dust collector explosion, etc.) and people can read them and believe it. This is one reason I don't mind loudly calling "BULLSHIT" on these grossly exaggerated claims in the albeit naive hope that I can stop them before they become the mythical wives tales of tomorrow.

Depends on the wood, the finish, etc, etc, etc. If you bothered to read my reply instead of getting all offended, you'd see I explicitly referred to painted surfaces, not stain. You asked the question, "Was the edging painted or finished with something else?" I was offering my advice for paint. I have yet to find a paint that sticks to wax.
--

-MIKE-

Well, you see Mike, it doesn't help too much to start off with an insult. It's you who appears to be trying to exacerbate this discussion into full blown argument.

You see, you keep telling me things that I've experienced and that I must be mistaken. I tell you what I'VE experienced and you keep telling me I'm wrong, just like the style bit that powered down on me. You weren't there so there's not much you can say to refute my experience. And you wonder about arguing? I suggest you have a good hare look in the mirror.

Cast iron can rust or crack and fail in a number of ways. Your insinuation that it's "BULLSHIT" is outright "CRAP" and you don't know what you're talking about.

And you chose to ignore the full intent of the question when I asked him how the counter sunk nails were finished.

And even there, you appear to be ill experienced. Yes, painted surfaces can experience the problems you mentioned. But, that takes time. I've filled nail holes (yes with my wax sticks) and they HAVE taken paint very well. Well, enough in fact that it's been a number of years on several projects and the counter sunk nails have not shown themselves. ~ a number of years that were not indicated by the original poster.

So you're going back to some previous discussion from weeks ago? Ok, passive aggressive it is.

Oh ok, now they're rusty. Care to add any more weak specifications to your bullshit claim that pipe couples can break when used as extenders for wood clamps? What's next, they're PVC instead of metal?
--

-MIKE-

Another insult.

No, just that there has to be a limit to all this 'discussion'. You'd have me launch into an increased assault of cursing and swearing. It's a waste of time in this case and accomplishes nothing.

Please show me exactly where I said "they're rusty". I used the word "or" not "and". I'd suggest you go buy yourself a decent pair of reading glasses, but you're reading what you want to see, not what is actually written.
Cast iron falls into the class of brittle materials. My assertion that cast iron can break or crack is valid and there's no proof printed or otherwise that you can produce to refute that. Your insistence otherwise only makes you look bad.
However, it looks like you've decided to use that as a reason to come after me again.
Ok, you've won this argument, I'm finished.

The bottom line is you made the absurd claim, "I'd think that a regular pipe coupler would be the weak point and the first part to break when used to join pipe clamps."
If you're using enough force to break a pipe coupler when used as a wood clamp, you're using way, way, way too much pressure and you'd end up smashing the wood you're trying to clamp before breaking the coupler.
Instead of just admitting it was ridiculous, you kept arguing and changing the subject and adding new variables to the equation to try to back it up.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/11/2013 10:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I don't think that there is any way in the world that a pipe coupler would break when using the pipes as pipe clamps. I have use this method to make short clamps longer during my pipe clamp days and there was never a reason to fear a break.
On 10/11/13 1:15 PM, Leon wrote:

I would speculate that PVC coupler would be plenty strong for this purpose.
--

-MIKE-

Your opinion is one I respect.

finished the wood with ... something. (it was years ago). The marks - an imperfect color match, I guess - really aren't conspicuous, but I had decided to try for a (little) higher level of craftsmanship when I made the desk. Thus, no holes, except for the dowels, which I think were a nice decorative touch in addition to their mechanical function.
On 10/10/13 1:55 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

With pocket screws, you don't need glue.
When I don't have enough clamps, I've used pocket screws as clamps to hold thicker-than-usual solid wood edge banding, then taken the screws out. Technically, I could've used only the screws, but in this case, I was using hidden hinges and shelf holes and some other attachments and didn't want to risk finding a screw when drilling for those things.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/10/2013 11:26 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I used the pope clamp couplers for years and in a pinch still do, but I don't have enough pipe to get the 24 feet that I needed.

Yep, clamping cauls of a sort. Clamping to clamps is quite often useful. Also, in my opinion preferable to a long clamp. I think you get better control than trying to control the clamp face flex over a 6 foot clamp, bowing the material, etc.
One additional comment Leon, I looked at the quilts on the website with the clamp orgy photo. My wife is a quilter too. She has made hundreds of them to give to babies in the neo natal care unit she worked at for over 25 years.
Sooooooo, I showed her your wife's quilts. she liked them. Particularly the Texas quilt. Just let her know, another quilter approves.
On 10/10/2013 1:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I'll pass that along to her Lee, and thanks for looking. My wife belongs to a couple of groups of ladies that donate baby quilts and a bit larger quilts for a local woman's shelter.

Great idea I was thinking face frame clamps but that is a simple solution.
Mike M