Sometimes it pays to be a woodworker!!

Woodworking can be a very rewarding hobby. The smile on someone's face when you give them a handcrafted gift, or when you help friends or family save money on a project. And for me it may have literally saved my butt. Friends of mine purchased a home that is 33 steps below the main street. I was glad to help them move (again!) but was concerned about making dozens of trips up and down the stairs as well as the safety issue of not being able to see the stairs while carrying bulky items. I came up with a novel idea of making a sled to send items down the stairs with. I uploaded a video to youtube if you'd like to see it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n3hY0yBNRY

GeneT wrote:

Really neat idea. At first I thought it was fan powered like an air boat. Saved a lot of climbing up and down I'm sure.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

That's using your head Gene.
GeneT wrote:

33 steps? They must be much younger than the two of us. I'm thinking of moving to a single level as my wife can only do the steps once a day.

Gerald, Hmmmm, fan powered-I might be able to make that work!!! Actually my initial idea was to join some melamine covered boards together and make a slide. It seemed like too much work, too much money, and if it happened to even drizzle the boxes would not be able to slide down. Then I came up with the sled idea. One trip to the hardware store and about an hour's work and voila!!!

Too much hassle ensuring the power cord doesn't get hung up. If it were my setup, I'd consider putting in some form of guide rails so the sled slides straight up and down. Anyway you look at it, someone is going to have to be at the top and bottom to load and unload. Might as well have one of those people also handling the pulling/lowering rope.

Got a nice train like sound to it ...
Somebody Had to ride it down, got the video of that?

Lobby, No, we didin't consider riding down the stairs with it-too hard on the rear end. We did consider riding it down the street though but didn't want to incur the wrath of his wife.....

Lobby, No, we didin't consider riding down the stairs with it-too hard on the rear end. We did consider riding it down the street though but didn't want to incur the wrath of his wife.....
LOL ! Well, being new to the neighborhood and all, you could see her point.

LOL !
Love it.
When you're done with it ... a few tweaks and you'll have a nice panel/ crosscut sled, to boot :-)

Neil, That thought did cross my mind. I used UHMW plastic for the runners and they worked like a charm. However, I think that they will be using the sled from time to time and I will definitely use it to get building materials down the stairs. I'm building a wooden railing and gate for them.