Something to go with teak?

All of the furniture in my bedroom is teak. (well, teak veneer)

I want to make a small cabinet for the bedroom. I don't want to use teak, and think learning to veneer is a tad over my head at the moment.

What wood/stain is going to look okay with a room full of teak? Presumably I should not lacquer the cabinet because none of the teak has lacquer. What finish will be appropriate? I suppose some sort of oil, but I know absolutely nothing about that. (except it is probably time to oil the teak again)

Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Actually, veneering is quite easy. But, assuming that you don't want to tackle that, I wouldn't try to MATCH the teak look (I think that looks kind of tacky) but instead try a wood that COMPLEMENTS it. I'd go with maple (and you can check out the look together as most Danish furniture stores sell teak and maple)...other choices, if you lean toward darker woods, would be cocobolo, rosewood, or ebony.

Reply to
George

Try ZAR they have a color teak that should do it . John

Reply to
Mary Ann & John

I'm not at all concerned about wood matching. I have a pine bed and dresser, maple chair, oak quilt rack and cherry nightstand in the bedroom. It all seems to go together because of the Shaker design. Cabinets do not need a lot of protection, so I'd use an oil finish. Test a few pieces of wood to see results.

Reply to
Phisherman

I see grain as being as important as color. What wood has teak's fine featureless grain?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Besides, veneer sucks. I hate veneer. I never want to have anything to do with veneer again. Bleah!

(Take *that* all you marquetry weirdos! ;)

Walnut goes with everything.

Rosewood would look really good too, though I say that never having seen anything in the flesh that was made of rosewood. :)

Reply to
Silvan

: I see grain as being as important as color. What wood has teak's fine : featureless grain?

I've seen a lot of flatsawn teak which is anything but featureless. And most woods have straight grain when quartersawn.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

If you want to match teak, then you are going to use teak.

There is simply nothing else like teak.

Learn to apply veneers, it's NBD.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but,

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, mine is pretty featureless.