Some very intriguing stuff here.

www.inventables.com
There are things for woodworking, things for other applications and plenty of things to make you think.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Mon, 2 May 2011 21:09:17 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

Excellent time killer
Edward Hennessey wrote:

Very interesting (and expensive :(), thanks for the link
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Only checked first page. Neat stuff but not in my price range. A rich mans hobby for this stuff. WW

D:
You're welcome.
A lot of these items can be sourced more cheaply elsewhere.
Knowing that these things exist is one important benefit of the site. If a fellow ever knew what might come in handy later, that would cut down on the reading and recollecting. But you don't.
Just the other week I found use for a glass that can vary between completely clear and opaque by the application of a charge. Somehow that stuck in the deep memory hole. If it can be had at a right price justifiable to the project, it will materialize.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Edward Hennessey wrote:

bathroom exterior windows. been around for at least 15 years if not longer.
Edward Hennessey wrote:

Exactly so.

The major one IMO.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

WW:
Ah, my friend, but there are a lot of things we don't need or can never be that are a pleasure to know about nonetheless. That's the free benefit.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Wed, 4 May 2011 22:23:19 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

Should make quite an unique guitar strap.

You'll be quite the star around cats, too, I'm sure.
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
On Thu, 05 May 2011 19:47:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

Musicians....we all cats.

TB:
I think this would be really spendy and can't clue you on a source, though searching would.
But try a visual search of ("stingray skin" OR "ray skin") "samurai sword" and you should see the pebbled material peeking out between handle wrapping. It was also used for decorative effect in Japanese armor.
Very handsome.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

sources are much cheaper. For example Edmund Sci has liquid crystal sheets 12x12 for $24.95 instead of 6x6 for $20.79. http://www.scientificsonline.com/temperature-sensitive-liquid-crystal-sheets.html Art