Some stuff is just worth the price...

About a week ago, my dishwasher overflowed. The water sought a pipe hole, which just happened to be right over the DJ-20 in my basement shop. As soon as I realized that the jointer was soaked, I disconnected the power, toweled it off, and fogged it with an aerosol water displacer / lube called Boeshield I recently purchased. I covered the jointer with plastic and went back to cleaning up the upstairs mess.
The Boesheild dried and left a waxy grease behind. This coating was easily removed with a spritz of fresh product and some old t-shirts. Today, I wiped the machine down to prepare to use it again, and there isn't a speck of rust ANYWHERE! Boesheild totally repelled the water.
This stuff isn't cheap, but I'm sold... I'm still going to use paste wax for pre-use wipes, but I'm keeping this stuff around for emergencies and long-term protection. It seems like it would be terrific for lesser used hand tools.
-- DISCLAIMER -- I don't sell Boeshield, I don't own stock in the manufacturer, and I've never gotten it for free. In fact, I've never even had a coupon for a discount. I don't really care if you buy it. <G> -- /DISCLAIMER -- I just wanted to share my experience with others who may be too cheap (like I was for a long time) to pull the trigger on a can of it.
Barry
Barry,
Yep, it's good stuff but a bit pricey as you noted. WD40 probably would have worked as well for what you needed right then - water displacement, which it does very well. You noted that you covered it with a plastic sheet supposedly to keep any more water from dripping on it. Plastic will trap condensation since it's not a breathable fabric and cause rust - so it's not a good idea to cover cast iron tools with plastic sheets for very long.
Glad to hear the tools survived - how about the other minor things - like the house......;-)
Bob S.

My experience with WD-40 is that little protection is left behind. I've seen bicycle chains rust two days after WD-40 was applied.
The plastic wasn't airtight, it was only over the surfaces.
Barry
WD-40 is a water displacer. It was not designed to prevent rust.

Had the Christmas tree, which I was FORBIDDEN TO TOUCH (wife and kid's role ya' know) fall over last year. The water ran down into my shop... got the hollow chisel mortiser and the DJ-20. I've had the DJ-20 well waxed with Johnson's, repeatedly over time, but the hollow chisel mortiser only had a light coat. When I saw the water I soaked the tools down with WD40... DJ-20 came out fine but the table on the mortiser has some dark areas... BTW, at that point my wife agreed that we don't do live trees any more! ;~)
Hmmm, is two data points enough to write a law, paraphrased from the one about "level," that states that "water finds the DJ-20?"
John
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:02:22 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

At least it missed my General 650. <G>
Barry
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

Not necessary, it's already covered by Murphy's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
eganders wrote:

I've decided to seek surplus space capsule flotation collars from the Apollo space program. I could mount one to the base of each tool, with a water activated trigger. Upon contact with water, the collars would self inflate, drop the DC & power connection, and the tool will float free.
I could get really fancy and add an EPRIB, so I could find it later.
Picture this: <
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/images/HH-60.jpg , but with stationary
tools being hoisted to safety!
Barry

If my law "water finds the DJ-20" is true dowsing would work just fine... How about testing the law and see if it proofs out for me?
Thanks,
John
the technology used buy WD-40 is 50 years old and hasn't changed since then.. There are far better products on the market. pour you diehard WD-40 fans try this, Spray your cap off the can until you have about a 1/3 of an inch in the cap let the foam dissipate then pour it into a clear half full glass of water, it will FLOAT! The molecular weight of WD-40 is lighter than water. WD-was the best stuff going 50 years back, but its long-in-the- tooth now. There are much better penetrates, lubricants, water displacers and protestants today
wood addict wrote:

displacing water or as a solvent. Try lubing a bike chain with it and then see how far you get before the chain kinks up. <g> or applying a heavy coat of WD-40 to a cast iron surface in a high humidity area. It'll rust terribly after it's evaporated.
Dave
It was developed by Boeing to protect aircraft and aircraft part I believe.