Some results of experimenting with soap stone. (Prelude to carving details in wood.)

Page 1 of 3
3HP spindle on a 1/16" ball nose bit. 2"/second feed rate. That gets kind of hairy as soapstone can have some hard veins in it. The goal of this experiment was to get acceptable detail at fast cutting/feed rates. Detail can be increased by smaller step-over rates. I'm reasonably satisfied.
After cutting, I coated the stone with FrogJuice. A clear coating out of a rattle can.
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=Lighthousecnc.flv
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Detail-1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/FrogJuice.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Relativesize.jpg

...you start with stone as a prelude to wood? I thought the idea was to start easy and work up to hard.
Nice looking stuff, though. Why did you put that button in the picture? No one knows how big that is - put a dime or quarter in the picture. :)~

That's a quarter, smartypants.
Oh, and the wood for a finely detailed carving is to be ebony, which costs a lot more than soapstone. I'm thinking about introducing soapstone countertops to my area, so I am getting the feel of it. Still looking for a propane forklift with all-weather tires though....

Unless George Washington was a cross-dresser, that's no quarter.

Do you know the name Wendell Castle? http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/105343.html?mulR=13080 Third paragraph down.
He ran up against a wall with his ability to price his works. You can only charge so much for a desk, and a desk is functional so it is not art. To overcome the barrier he made the desk non-functional - he'd carve an open book, or whatever, onto the top. This satisfied the art world and, well, you can charge anything you want for art as the people buying the stuff aren't using real/their money.
Maybe you should do that with your countertops. If you do, please PayPal me 10% of your earnings on such works - ideas ain't free, buddy.
Thank you.
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:15:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Cool!
Saaay, is that a real-live Canuckistani Ducat I see there?
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

Thankee, kind sir. I am trying very hard to steer away from those #$%#@ %^ countertops and do something more creative with my time. I turned 60 last April and I'm really worried that I won't get to complete my bucket list in the next 25+ years.

For a mint version of the Royal Canuckistani Quarter, see if you can pry open some visiting Dutch guy's change purse.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:33:07 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

I made it to 56 last August. Getting away from the countertops is easy. Just hire guys to do ALL the work for you. You do the easy stuff, the billing and other paperwork a couple hours a day and play the rest of the time. What's so tough?

Fat chance. They're worse that _Scotsmen_, fer chrissake!
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=Lighthousecnc.flv
That is impressive. And you can increase the detail? Amazing. My wife would love it. .......... now ...... will I show her or not? ........... : )
A question; I have no idea what size the coin in the last photo would be, - could you post the diameter as a reference?
diggerop

It is a quarter. 0.94" or 23.88 mm if you're so inclined. *S* I haven't worked it out in microcubits because my calculator ran out of yak oil....and without yak oil, my yak won't work the treadmill.
I just sold a couple of desk name plates to be carved out of soapstone for two executives. (I didn't really want to do this for those pompous bastards, but when I said the price, they said..ohh..okay.)

It is a quarter. 0.94" or 23.88 mm if you're so inclined. *S* I haven't worked it out in microcubits because my calculator ran out of yak oil....and without yak oil, my yak won't work the treadmill.
I just sold a couple of desk name plates to be carved out of soapstone for two executives. (I didn't really want to do this for those pompous bastards, but when I said the price, they said..ohh..okay.)
Good on yer. : ) ....and thank you
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

[ two! two! two! ...]
If you think this might be fun, you might be interested in
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot /
[ three! three! three! ...]
:-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Oh so tempting. ...... so very very tempting. : )
I've read your website many times and continue to follow your progress with great interest and even greater admiration. Not only for what I see as your genius and determination, but also for the philosphy you espouse. The world will undoubtably be a better place for you having lived in it. Not so many of us that can say the same. You Sir, are what us Aussies would call, "a really good bloke." I wish you every success.
diggerop
Morris Dovey said:

I totally don't understand the reference to the numerical sequences of two and three?
I also missed the links to the JBot page; and here I thought I had perused your site in its entirety. Guess that answers the question of whether you can build a mill from plywood and junk parts. Did you use bronze bushings on the guide rails or do they ride in nylon or wood? What kind of accuracy do you get out of this? And is that TurboCNC?
I planned to make the guide rail supports out of wood as well since I don't have a machine shop and certainly can't afford to pay for the machine work. Rails out of hardened drill stock and sintered bronze bushing slides. Class 2C ACME rod, 10 TPI. Damned those 2C nuts are expensive, so was going to use cheap 2G nuts. A Dremel at first, and probably a Bosch laminate trimmer when I can look at various models to determine their bearing play - and can find one on sale or at a pawn shop. Wanted accuracy approaching one thou but won't get there with wooden and generic parts.
Greg G.

Heh. Morris and Robatoy each have a CNC bot. [ two! two! two! ...] Morris provided the link to his and suggested it might interest me Hence [ three! three! three! ...] : )
diggerop said:

OK- then it's [four! four! four!...] (Don't mind the short bus parked over here.)
Or perhaps 3.5 would be more appropriate at this time. The controllers are still breadboarded and the firmware for the micros is still beta, but given the inspiration provided today...
Planned to do it back in the late 80s, but nasty things like lawyers and survival got in the way. Sure has gotten a lot simple to DIY one in the interim, however. There's a whole bunch of software I don't have to write available now.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

See Lew's post "O/T: How I Learned To Mind My Own Business"

Hey! No junk parts in /that/ machine (except maybe the HF router). I don't even dream of calling it a mill - it's just a router.
All of the slides (and the Acme-threaded lead screw followers) are cut from a 3" Delrin rod.
I can't honestly say anything about the accuracy because I don't have any equipment capable of measuring it. The step size is approximately 0.0002083" (probably much less than the runout on the HF router).
Yuppers - what you see on the screen is TurboCNC. It's easy to set up, reliable, and the support is good. The bad news is that it runs in an MS-DOS environment.

I think you can, but you end up making more of your own parts to get there. The interesting part of the design process for me was to work to minimize the number of 'critical' measurements needed for the complete machine to have maximum accuracy.
[ I found Lew's story:
I was walking past the mental hospital the other day, And all the patients were shouting, '13....13....13.'
The fence was too high to see over, but I saw a little gap in the planks, so I looked through to see what was going on.....
Some idiot poked me in the eye with a stick!
Then they all started shouting '14....14....14'... ]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Hey, I've been told to do that before, mister.

Well, at least that avoids the erratic LPT port timing issues under Windoze. I've got a copy here somewhere, along with some other stuff from years ago. Yeager I think. Never used any of them yet, so can't comment on use.

With machinery, the next version will be better than the last because you have machinery to make more accurate parts for the next version. I take it this becomes an obsession and one is never enough. ;-) My problem is not having a metal working lathe - only a wood lathe.

Funny! I missed it the first time around.
Thanks for the info.
Greg G.

Heh.
I keep going back looking at your bot. It fascinates me. However, I won't try to build one. Too many projects on the go now and too little time. (How come I then spend so much time writing drivel and posting it on the wreck.? A recently aqquired medical condition, that requires me to be seated for treatment at 4/5 hours every day - temporarily, I hope.) I thought about buying a mini version, but it would really be just another toy for me to play with. Got far too many of them as it is.
If I could think of a reason to use it commercially, perhaps providing employment for somebody, I'd go for the idea. Brilliant machines.
diggerop
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:24:54 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
Hey Robatoy, I was at a Games Show/Hobby Show yesterday at the international centre yesterday and one booth was flogging a CNC machine about 3'x6' in table size.
Parts and plans for the machine is supposed to cost something along the lines of $500. The one they had there was made out of mdf, but they apparently have plans to make housings and superstructure out of metal, if that's how one wants to go.
Considering your experience with these things, likely much more sophisticated that this one, would you say I'm headed down the right beginner's track if something like this is what I started off with? http://www.rockcliffcnc.com / http://www.rockcliffcnc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCPNP
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com said:

I'm not Robatoy, but note that the listed $520 price does not include many relatively expensive parts such as the ACME drive shafts, zero backlash compensating drive nuts and mount, shaft couplers, guide rails, slide bushings, rail blocks and the basic structure (even if DIY of MDF). You also need an appropriate spindle motor, bits, and CNC software for driving the unit and another for generating the G-Code. (Simple designs can be coded by hand, however.)
Greg G.