Some recent work

Page 3 of 4

I underprice substantially. They can as long as I continue to be young, stupid and desperate. I'm stretching the young part these days, but the other two still apply ;) Most I've ever sold a box for was $650, and that was two weeks of work.

Gah! Where are these people and why do they never come to visit me? I get to deal with the people who want a custom made somethingorother for $15. I can't even figure out what you want for less than $15 of labor and I haven't done anything yet.

Send them to me ;)
-Kevin
wrote in message

Exactly. High end jewelry boxes are rather unique, and the one I sold was about 1/2 the price of the High End ones that I have seen. It is hard to sell in bigger quantities because most of the public is not interested in the quality of the work. They feel that they have spent a fortune on their jewelry, they typically don't want to spend a small fortune on a box to keep it in. Woodworkers turly appreciate the craftsmanship but they can do it themselves. I think what most people don't understand in today's "immediate gratification world" is that what they are buying at Sears, or Walmart is not going to look or even feel the same in 5 years. The new has worn off and they are conditioned by furniture not lasting and having to replace it every so many years. Couple with that the fact that styles change and their old Sears or Ikea stuff looks dated. Why does it look dated? BECAUSE IT IS CHEAP! Quality always looks good and is always in style. If you don't believe that, take a look at what antique furniture goes for these days. You just have to find the right kind of customer. I am finishing up on a small job and was at an upholstery shop buying fabric with my wife. We ran into a guy that was buying new fabric for an 1860's sofa that he said had the original finish. He was buying frilly 3" buttons and tassels to put on the end of the arm rests. He mentioned that he was thinking about asking $24K when he was ready to resale it.

"IMHO"
All 3 are probably not going to be large enough to command high dollar for storage. You may very well get a pretty good asking price for the art/design aspect on them however. Providing the pictures are not hiding any problems and with the right group of customers I could see at least $600, possibly much more. It will all depend on who is looking. Again, the metal slides could bring the price down from my guess.
Take a look here, I was inspired by the chest on this site and made my small modifications and changes and drew the complete set of plans using the dimensions as a guide. I built my 2 chests based on the Gerstner 24K Crown Jewelry Chests. Notice the price at the bottom of the page. I sold mine for about 1/2 that price and I would not hesitate to compare them side by side. I made mine from maple with tiger maple veneer on the drawer fronts. the front doors had Saplted Oak center panels surrounded by Maple.
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/jewelry/24k.htm
Also take a look here for a more simple elegant design that is serious about providing storage for lots of jewelry.
http://www.westcreekstudio.com/chests.html
and even larger chests
http://www.westcreekstudio.com/cabinets.html
and then there is this site
http://www.alladd.com/index.htm
I think with the right exposure you could easily fit into this end of the category. But about those steel slides. :~)
Yup, that's my dilemma these days. I'm doing some artsy-fartsy things with my router and people pick up one of my sculpted maple leaves and want one..but then I'm at a loss. To me, it is truly waste/scrap with 15 minutes of machining time. So $ 60.00 it is, each. Then I get a call from the Legion, they want to decorate 50 soldiers' graves with them... then I can't, with a clear conscience, ask them for that much. BUT.. if I tell them, say $ 15.00 each, and the rest of the country orders 5000 of them, all other projects stop and I have to make money.... quite a dilemma. Now it's no longer scrap either. What to do, what to do.
Keep in mind that 50 vs. 1 allows for a lot more wiggle room. As you well know setup time is a big and real cost. Doing something 50 times with the same set up is normally not too much more work than doing a set up for 1.
I would much rather make less per hour, not as much as you are considering, if I can get in to a mass production setting with a back log than doing a 1 at a time thing.
Leon wrote:

Don't think time is a function. At $60 a pop the bill would be about $3,000.
Should be all he needs is a receipt for tax purposes from the Legion.
P D Q
Don't think time is a function. At $60 a pop the bill would be about $3,000.
Should be all he needs is a receipt for tax purposes from the Legion.
P D Q
You are probably right if they issue a receipt. I doubt however if it could actually be a tax credit rather than a deduction if itemizing here in the US. But he is in Canada and who knows how that works up there.

this is correct. you can only write off the cost of materials for donated goods. as a glass artist i get approached a lot for objects to raffle off. it's more cost effective to just give a check.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

That's the part that drives me crazy. You'll spend $100 on one piece of jewelry, or even way more than that, but you want the box that holds all of them to cost less than that!

I agree with that. For a while I had the mindset of not wanting to waste any space inside the box whatsoever, it had to be practical. I've let go of that for a while and am just having fun, but I have gone a little too far with some of them. But I figure that not everyone who has money to spend necessarily has tons of jewelry and they may appreciate a smaller box that's unique, and as you provided links to show people already have names established for high end work with big storage. I do have a couple of lines of more storage oriented boxes, nothing really big though. And no metal slides :)
http://www.krtwood.com/curves.html http://www.krtwood.com/mission.html
I've been planning to do a larger version of the Curves box, I have the doors partially made but have been putting off working on it. I should do some larger pieces, I am just reluctant to invest a lot of time and materials into the larger stuff. The one I am working on now, I have done the top without knowing what's going under it, and it's good size so perhaps I'll make this one a bit larger than normal.

I have the first one priced at $400 on Etsy. My own website gets hardly any traffic (except the page I put up about my shop built drum sander), I've had a box sit in a consignment shop for a year and then get returned to me. We'll see how the new gallery turns out. Sometimes I am just tempted to just double the price of everything and see what happens.

I like the work, but don't like the attitude that comes with it. That's one area that maybe holds me back. I'm not going to talk about myself as if what I am doing is museum quality this and finest that, and maybe the people with the $$ need to hear that kind of stuff, but they won't hear it from me. I just want to smack that guy. But he's probably only saying it because that's what he thinks people want to hear, and maybe he's right.
I guess I would rather sell things that maybe they are under priced but it's still a lot of money to the person buying it and something they will really appreciate and love, than something somebody bought because it was expensive which is the feeling I get from a lot of these sites. But I get more messages from people saying how they love one of the boxes and would buy it if they had the money than I do sales. In a way I appreciate those messages more than the sales, but at the same time it doesn't pay the bills.
-Kevin
On Feb 17, 5:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote: [snipped a whole lot of common sense]

Tell you what. I'll hold him, you smack him. Then we switch. What a snooty douche-nozzle. But wait! I'm just too brilliantly fantastic and talented to do that. And too good-looking too! I could muss up my Birkies!! I'm so upset, I think I'll throw tofu at him instead!!

Wellllllll you have to sell yourself, I have done plenty of that in the past. Fortunately I have reoccurring customers and referrals from them. I wonder what would happen with your pieces if you put them on another unrelated site and doubled the price. I have learned that you can scare business off if you are too cheap or don't display enough confidence in your pricing. Very often I get jobs that I an not interested in doing until I actually up the price to what I am comfortable with. I think a customer can read your discomfort in your pricing. I "try" not to let pricing limit what I want to do in a project.

Now you're just pissing me off. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Leon wrote:

Thats the only thing I liked... Those slides looked like something I'd do, the rest of it made me feel like, inferior....
Honestly, those slides really looked out of place on such nice, creative work. The first two appear to have some creative and unusual slides, so I can't help wondering why the metalware on the last one?
--
Jack

Well everyone feels strongly about the slides :) I have had feedback from customers that they don't like short drawers that fall out when you try to get to the back of them. As I said elsewhere, the main problem is the top drawer where the top overhangs, especially if you have a drawer that is inset to the frame of the box rather than overlapping the front, the wood slides have to end the thickness of the front of the drawer plus the reveal from the front edge, the top overhangs the front of the box perhaps 1/2" to 3/4", and you need a good 1/2" to 3/4" of the drawer still on the slides to support it without falling out. Add all that up and you have an inch and half or more of the drawer still under the top.
The other alternative is to make the top drawer not actually a drawer but fixed and have the top hinged. That's doable on a rectangular box, but when you start throwing in angles and curves as I like to do it starts getting tricky. Plus when you have a solid wood top that is just a single board I want that attached to some structure to help limit any warping it wants to do.
-Kevin

OK, I am moving rapidly into an area I know nothing about. But I have seen some kind of double dovetail slides out of wood. This would essentially be a full extension slide. No idea how to make them (obviously a jig of some kind) or how durable they would be. You obviously don't want to produce something that would break easily.

I think I saw some full extension slides made from wood in a Fine Woodworking a few (maybe 10, maybe less) years back. But, those were on a full size chest-of-drawers and were kind of big as I remember. Might be hard to do on a jewelry box, except for that guy who does the minatures of course . . .
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
On Feb 19, 11:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

I've googled previously on the subject, but haven't experimented with it. My concern is there's got to be some free sliding middle part to accomplish it, and at this scale that could easily warp. I don't have a lot of confidence it's going to keep working well over time, but that's just my gut feeling.
-Kevin
     snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM writes:

I'll take the risk of disagreeing with everyone. It may be my beginner perspective, so I don't have any baggage attached to the drawer slide issue. Whatever the reason, my first reaction to the drawer slides was that the combination of beautiful wood and shiney industrial parts was kind of cool.
Maybe I'd react differently to the box, but that was my reaction to the pictures. Doesn't matter much. I can't afford your stuff, so I'm not the customer you need to please.
--
| Stories of tortures used by debauchers
Drew Lawson | lurid, licentious and vile

It might look better if you could get brass, or at least brass plated, slides. I always think brass looks better with wood. But, hey, it's your stuff and you have to satisfy yourself first.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Wow - I've never seen brass slides (but I haven't looked either) but that's the best suggestion I've seen!
Brass would work, but even just a couple of microinches of gold (like 1/1000 of an ounce, worth about US$1.00) would dress up a steel slide enough to make it worthy of the box.
(tuppence)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Believe it or not I was just googling brass full extension slides this afternoon, but I didn't come up with anything. Anything is possible for the right amount of $$$ but for the tiny volume I do if it works out to $100/pr it aint worth it.
For the amount of weight involved it ought to be possible to make an undermount slide that isn't huge either.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, I don't know if anyone makes brass full extension slides, I was just saying that I prefer brass hardware with wood if it's available. You have to work with what you can get. Like you say, money-no-object is not a real game plan for staying in business.

For what it's worth, I don't think the steel slides looked all that bad. Brass would look better, and black would too, but you'd probably have a harder time finding slides in black than in brass.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.