Some recent work

Page 1 of 4
My three latest jewelry boxes:
http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html
First one was a real challenge. Second one is pretty simple but my favorite of the three. It's just 3 layers of 1/8" baltic birch bent over a board at the center and clamped down, no complicated bending jig required. And the third one also pretty simple, and the most functional of the group. I really like using the full extension slides for access to the whole drawer. This was a bit interesting because the inside of the box is at about a 4 degree angle, the guides are at that angle as well. Made fitting the drawers a little interesting.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Beautiful.
Love the drawer handles on the last one.
--

-MIKE-

Thanks! I've been in a rut with the handles for a while and the same simple straight handle with angled sides was what fit the design but I wanted to change it up some how. They are staggered like that because the best grain in the drawer fronts made a swirl right through the center and I didn't want to cover it. I went back and forth positioning like that for quite a while before committing to it.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Some of the most elegant "design" feature are completely by accident.
That's why I like the adventure turning. Sometimes, there are things hidden inside the wood that you don't discover until you turn it down, which end up dictating the style or design of a piece. I love to let the wood tell me what to do with it.
In yours, the pulls, along with the "ripple" on the front-right edge of the top, perfectly contrast and compliment the piece's hard angles, straight lines, and symmetry.
I also like to leave wood with beautiful color, its natural color. Which leads me to ask if those Sycamore legs have any stain on them.
--

-MIKE-

For a good while I was doing more mission type of stuff and I was telling the wood what to do, but I have been having a lot of full with some odd shaped pieces of wood that I get with no idea of what I am going to do with them. They sit around for a while and I pull them out and look at them, shrug and put them back. Then eventually either I have an idea that they fit or the idea comes while I am looking at them. I really like to start a project knowing mostly what I am going to be doing, but leaving some things open to be figured out as I go along.
Sometimes that gets me into trouble, like on that first box which had to be taken almost completely down to nothing and started over. And then when I had it all redone I was gluing something and took one step away to reach a clamp and it took that opportunity to make a suicide leap off the bench to the concrete. Which it actually survived without *too* much damage, but I did more cursing during that project than working. If it had been summer I would have taken that sucker out to the driveway and used the sledgehammer on it, but it's just too darn cold out so I had to keep working on it instead.

The legs are bubinga, the top and the rails are sycamore. The legs are from a quartersawn piece of 8/4 bubinga, which it turns out has a really boring grain pattern on the quartersawn grain, but it makes good legs at least.
-Kevin

Now I feel like a dumbass. :-)
Now that I'm thinking about it, the legs do have that Bubinga color. I haven't been around Sycamore enough to know... in fact it looks like Cocobolo sapwood to me.
--

-MIKE-

On Feb 16, 10:37pm, snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Bold, refreshing, innovative, brilliant! And that is just my reaction to the designs. The execution looks great as well. Kudos, bro'.

Wow! Thanks!
-Kevin

Good lookin' stuff Keven. I love the designs. You obviously have to work a little harder to make the drawers and make them fit when doing designs like this. It was time well spent.

Very nice! Last one is my favorite, but they are all superb works of art.
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Those are nice, very creative. Someone also did a first rate job on lighting them for the photos too. You?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I noticed that too. The photography is first-rate.

Thanks! Yep, I do the photos. When you sell online the photography is what sells, so it helps to have that as your hobby. I have a good size light tent, but the second two are too wide for it. My lighting setup is actually pretty simple though. I have a 4 ft fluorescent fixture hanging from an upside-down U shaped frame. On the legs of the U I have 4 clamp lights with CFL bulbs. Everything has the same color balance. I can turn on/off clamp lights to get more light coming from one side however I want. The light tent helps diffuse the light, but with the fluorescents it's already pretty diffuse. But I'm in trouble if I have to photograph anything bigger than those.
-Kevin

Very nice. My first thought was that you should get together with an architect and build a few houses similar in shape to those jewelry boxes.

I'm disgusted! Those projects must have been done with Magic! I now don't feel qualified to wipe down the toolbox of such a Master Woodworker.
On Feb 17, 9:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ha ha! Actually from a woodworking perspective everything is very simple. There are a lot of half lap joints and pocket screws in what I do. If I can do it, you can do it.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

I don't think so Kevin. The designs are very appealing and creative. I could probably do the work, but not the design. For example, the little wave on the last box top is special, I doubt I would ever have come up with doing that, very artistic. Don't under sell yourself, any one can build stuff, you have to be special to design stuff that pleasing to the eye.
--
Jack

Well I was referring more to the techniques involved. I still have miters give me fits from time to time and I am generally going to ruin something if hand tools are involved. Master woodworker I am not.
From the design/creativity side, that's really something hard to define. I see it as I have an understanding of what the wood can and cannot do, what my tools and skills can and cannot do, and a library of techniques to deal with about any situation that is going to come up. I have learned to not let my fear of things not turning out right stop me and to just go with it. I don't see it as me doing something special, more that most everyone else is holding themselves back. It's probably a little of both.
The example you gave, well I bought that board which was intended to be used for a guitar by the guy who cut it. It was longer with a natural edge along part of it, rough cut straight for maybe 3/4s of the edge. He did it that way because he had a template for half a guitar and was minimizing waste. I looked at it and my first thoughts were probably what anyone else would think, trying to decide which rectangle I wanted to take from it. The full width and stop at the natural edge, or a longer length and rip it narrower. But it was already not as wide as I would like, and not as long as I'd like if I cut it at the natural edge. So I was just open at that point to considering a different option, go longer and leave a bit of the natural edge. Is this going to look stupid? Let's find out! I ended up deciding to leave the rough cut on the edge so it would blend in better with the natural edge, and as a bonus - less work for me. From there having that bit of asymmetry allowed me to consider doing the pulls in that asymmetrical layout around the swirl of the grain. If it wasn't for that first choice I wouldn't have made the second one.
-Kevin

One of the things I like about doing jewelry boxes is I can get away with some things that would be too much on the scale of full size furniture, and you want to go another order of magnitude bigger!
-Kevin

:-) Just don't end up on a list like
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/01/architectural-horrors-drb-series.html