Some recent work

My three latest jewelry boxes:

one was a real challenge. Second one is pretty simple but my favorite of the three. It's just 3 layers of 1/8" baltic birch bent over a board at the center and clamped down, no complicated bending jig required. And the third one also pretty simple, and the most functional of the group. I really like using the full extension slides for access to the whole drawer. This was a bit interesting because the inside of the box is at about a 4 degree angle, the guides are at that angle as well. Made fitting the drawers a little interesting.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Beautiful.

Love the drawer handles on the last one.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Bold, refreshing, innovative, brilliant! And that is just my reaction to the designs. The execution looks great as well. Kudos, bro'.

Reply to
Robatoy

Good lookin' stuff Keven. I love the designs. You obviously have to work a little harder to make the drawers and make them fit when doing designs like this. It was time well spent.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Very nice! Last one is my favorite, but they are all superb works of art.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Those are nice, very creative. Someone also did a first rate job on lighting them for the photos too. You?

Reply to
dadiOH

I noticed that too. The photography is first-rate.

Reply to
Phisherman

architect and build a few houses similar in shape to those jewelry boxes.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm disgusted! Those projects must have been done with Magic! I now don't feel qualified to wipe down the toolbox of such a Master Woodworker.

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

Absolutely great Kevin but I was really turned off with the mechanical steel slides on the last one. May I suggest sliding dado's next time?

Reply to
Leon

Or, maybe undermount slides that aren't visible.

Reply to
Upscale

Holy shiat... good eye, Leon. And a good point. I didn't even notice them the first time around, now they stand out like a sore slide. Yup, they got to go.

*slaps forehead wondering why I didn't see them before....* r
Reply to
Robatoy

Holy shiat... good eye, Leon. And a good point. I didn't even notice them the first time around, now they stand out like a sore slide. Yup, they got to go.

*slaps forehead wondering why I didn't see them before....* ===================================

Now, now guys...., settle down. He may have had good reason to put those slides on there. He may have some VERY heavy jewelry,,,. or gold bars..., or spanish bullion. In which case, he would need those metal slides!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Holy shiat... good eye, Leon. And a good point. I didn't even notice them the first time around, now they stand out like a sore slide. Yup, they got to go.

*slaps forehead wondering why I didn't see them before....*

But in all fairness, the boxes are top rate. I guess I quickly noticed because I built 2 jewelry chests about a year ago and all 26 drawers had the sliding dado's for slides.

Now Kevin did mention that he liked the drawers coming "all" the way out however he is obviously capable of building to tolerances close enough that the sliding dado would allow the drawers to be pulled out enough that the drawer backs would be fully visible. Basically my drawers will open far enough that only the 1/2" thick drawer back is still inside the cabinet.

Reply to
Leon

Good point! But there should have been a lock too, huh? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks! I've been in a rut with the handles for a while and the same simple straight handle with angled sides was what fit the design but I wanted to change it up some how. They are staggered like that because the best grain in the drawer fronts made a swirl right through the center and I didn't want to cover it. I went back and forth positioning like that for quite a while before committing to it.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Wow! Thanks!

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Thanks! Yep, I do the photos. When you sell online the photography is what sells, so it helps to have that as your hobby. I have a good size light tent, but the second two are too wide for it. My lighting setup is actually pretty simple though. I have a 4 ft fluorescent fixture hanging from an upside-down U shaped frame. On the legs of the U I have 4 clamp lights with CFL bulbs. Everything has the same color balance. I can turn on/off clamp lights to get more light coming from one side however I want. The light tent helps diffuse the light, but with the fluorescents it's already pretty diffuse. But I'm in trouble if I have to photograph anything bigger than those.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Ha ha! Actually from a woodworking perspective everything is very simple. There are a lot of half lap joints and pocket screws in what I do. If I can do it, you can do it.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

One of the things I like about doing jewelry boxes is I can get away with some things that would be too much on the scale of full size furniture, and you want to go another order of magnitude bigger!

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65