Some omnijig through dovetail questions

I am working on my first through dovetails with my 7216, and have a few questions:

1) It says that 3/4" dovetails are for stock "up to 13/16" thick", and 1/2" "with 1/2" thick stock". The phasing would seem to say that the 1/2" is only for 1/2" stock, not "up to" 1/2" stock. That doesn't make a lot of sense; did they just word it poorly, is must the 1/2" only be used on 1/2" stock. I have 7/16" stock; can I use either, or just the 3/4"?

2) The 1/2" dovetail uses a 9/16" straight bit and a 5/8" OD bearing. To get the bearing on the jig, I have to make a really long pin. I can sand it down after assembly, but it obviously isn't right. I guess I have to get a shorter 9/16" bit? How long is the one PC recommends?

3) I cut my first pair (with really long pins...) and it was way too loose. I stuck another washer in and it was a tad tight. Now I will crank the nut in a hair and it should be just right; is that the idea?

TIA

Reply to
Toller

It could be that the 1/2" bit on thinner stock would remove too much wood. Try it out on your thinner stock "scrap" and every thing may become quite clear.

Reply to
Leon