Some of my other Grampa's tools

Page 2 of 2
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

My guess is much older than 50 years which would only put them about 1960 vintage.
Due to WWII, my guess many of these tools may predate 1940.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

That's quite possible, Lew. Mom was born in '39, and he was woodworking before that.
Unfortunately, in his later years he sold off much of his shop to support his addiction. I'm very happy to have what I do.
I remember some of his work from when I was you (10 or so, which is 40 years ago) and even filtered through questionable memories he was a superb woodworker. The bottle and a RAS took most of his left hand about that time, alas, and he really never came back.
I have fond memories, he was always good to me.
Add pictures here
✖
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

That makes your mom a mere babe<G>.

Those are the best kind.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 7:04 pm, Dave Balderstone

You might not see this as you are boycotting Google groups, but I want to congratulate you and express my jealousy. I am trying to get to my grandfather Luigi's tools in Montreal (my brother has been promising to ship them to me for the last 20 years or so), but my grandfather Umberto's tools in Italy are all gone. Enjoy your patrimony, and may you smile down on your grandchildren's shops.
Luigi
Add pictures here
✖
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Very nice. I can certainly relate. When Dad's father passed away, I asked for his toolbox. Not woodworking tools, but I spent lots of summer afternoons in or under the combine, swather, or other equipment helping him make repairs. Nothing fancy in that toolbox, but Grandpa could fix anything with those tools. It brings back good memories when I use one of them.

Rob Leatham
✖
On 10/15/2009 7:04 PM Dave Balderstone spake thus:

I'll bet that most, if not all, of that rust can be easily removed.
My method of choice is electrolytic rust removal. Look it up; lots of sites showing how to do it.
Basically, you immerse the thing to be de-rusted in a solution of sodium carbonate (aka washing soda, sold as a Ph modifier for swimming pools everywhere), put a piece of iron or steel in the bath, make the tool the negative electrode and the other piece of metal the positive one, run low voltage DC (12 volts typically) through the bath and presto! off comes the rust.

✖

I've done that in the past, but most of these don't need it, as it turns out. So far, so good! I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Add pictures here
✖

Could it be a pin vise?
Add pictures here