Some of my other Grampa's tools

Page 1 of 2
A few years back I inherited some of my Dad's dad's planes, and they have a place of honour in my shop, and I try to use them as much as I can. They included a Stanley #8 that had a crack in it that I had repaired.
This summer we travelled from Saskatoon to Thunder Bay, Ontario, and on the return trip stopped to visit one of Mom's sisters outside Winnipeg. She loaded a couple of buckets full of my other grampa's tools into the back of our van, and I've finally had a chance to do an inventory. Unfortunately, they'd been stored in an unheated garage for who knows how long, so rust is something of an issue, but not on all of the tools.
Besides a bunch of files with varying degrees of rust from light to severe, and a number of different pliers and snips, I found a smaller Yankee driver, and a smaller, similar driver marked "Hoppe, Germany" with several pristine auger bits in the handle. As well, marked Starret, what appears to be an adjustable handle for small files.
And then, the planes:
Two Stanley 110's in reasonable shape.
A body for a number 130, jappaning bubbled, rusty
The rest are in good to very good condition:
Two #4s, a #5, #80, #90, #151 and a #40 1/2 in really great shape.
Knowing Grampa's history, most of these tools are probably 50 years or older.
Pretty soon, I'll them all cleaned up and in use. Then I'll have two grandfathers smiling down on my shop.
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:04:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

That is a great way to keep a family history going. I'm sure you are and will put them to good use. Hope when the time comes you have someone you can pass the tools on to and keep the family history going.
Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

Daughter and son both have some interest in wooddorking, I'm trying to infuse them with enthusiasm, but for a parent to push to hard can be a mistake.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I don't *even* want to know what that is. :-p
--

-MIKE-

You're not from 'round here, are you?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm not from Kentucky either. I think they do some dorking up there. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Search the archives for the term.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Uh, that's ok. :-)
--

-MIKE-

So your only intent was to act like a prick? Welcome to my killfile.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm sorry, *I'm* acting like a prick?
Let's look back.... I make a little joke at what I took to be a typo, and added an emoticon to indicate I was teasing.
*You* are the one who started the smartass replies with your little, "not from 'round here" comment, when all you had to do was say, "It's an inside joke," and maybe even explain it.
So nice try, though, by turning it around on me, but it didn't work.
But, you won't read this though, because I'm in your killfile. Ooooooooo!
--

-MIKE-

Stop being a dick. Your little joke was about someone's kids, and would probably have left you with a fat lip if you said that to the person's face. It was a dick move, you should have known it was a dick move, you're defending a dick move, and you're being a dick for not admitting your ignorance.
People like you give dick's a bad name.
RicodJour wrote:

Not only are you guys hypocrites, you're thin-skinned ones at that.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Apology for the hypocrite remark. I confused you with others who dole out the ad hominems in political threads and others.
Still thin-skinned however. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Thank goodness someone still can see the humor in any situation. Sometime the funniest things that happen are when you look back a very serious event after several days have passed and the adrenaline is gone.
Humor is what keeps us all from become Social Democrats

Not really. It was getting kind of quiet around here and I was getting bored. :)
RicodJour wrote:

Well.... up yours, then! (:-o
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:30:55 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Them younguns, I swear...
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yes you will.
You might consider taking pictures and combining a bit of text to save that history for the next user(s). It'd be a shame for that not to be passed on with the tools...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That's an excellent idea. Thanks, Morris.
On Oct 15, 10:04pm, Dave Balderstone

The 80 and 90 aren't the steel-cased rabbet planes by any chance, are they?