Some nice finds at the swap meet

Found a new vendor at my local, monthly swap meet. Had a bunch of nice old stuff. Planes, chisels, braces, etc. Fair number of old plumb bobs and tri squares too.
I picked up a small woodworking vise, unknown brand but has Made in U.S.A. molded into the body of it, and what I think is a fairly old Stanley Warrington hammer. The head is square instead of round but the other side is definitely a Warrington type. Might be an upholster's hammer?
The vise should fit nicely on a small bench I'm planning and I just liked the looks of the hammer, I got a good deal and met some nice folks who plan on coming back every month so that doubles my number of regular sellers to go see each month.
John Emmons
"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

Nice gloat. I had a good Saturday as well. I collect old handsaws and found 4 in quite good shape for $5 total. They are:
An Atkins "Silver Steel" #54 from 1900-1910, my favorite saw. I don't know what Atkins put in their steel, but it has some of the properties of stainless. I've never seen one badly rusted, usually no or very little rust.
A Disston "Acme 120" from 1896-1914. This is the one made with no set and tapered teeth that supposedly sawed a smooth enough cut that it could be glued without planing off the saw marks.
An unknown Disston, probably a D8 but the engraving is too faded to read. Also 1896-1914
And the real find - a "Joseph Haywood Sheffield" from the UK with "split nut" handle screws. Best guess, about 1870-1880. The name is more "stamped" than "etched" and is very simple. Could be even older. The company, what little I can find, started up in the early 1800s and was defunct before 1900.
OK, nobody but another saw collector will get excited, but I had to brag somewhere :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb wrote:

Congratulations. A hardware store colsed up %-( around here and I picked up the Atkins Silver Steel wall saw holder displays (2) for $10 total. I've got them disassembled and stored. After we retire and I get some room, they're going back up the wall of my shop to hold my old Disstons and old German saws.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Reminds me of the guy who goes into the confessional and says "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. Last night, I made love to a woman SEVEN times." The priest says "Who was this sinful woman, my son?" He replied, "It was my wife, Father." To which the priest answered, "That's not a sin. Why are you telling me this?" The man said "Well, who else would believe me?"
Gerry
Check out the Old Tools group, you would like it:
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html
dave
lgb wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:22:27 GMT, "John Emmons"

<snip>
I look at swap meet/flea market tools every time. Rarely do I find something worth buying. I've been looking for a good anvil for sometime, spied one that looked good but $50 was too much. Lots of furniture pieces at low low prices--makes me cry when I see a chair (similar to the labor-intensive one I built) for just $2.
The anvil, assuming it was bigger than 50 pounds and not one of the cheap cast iron ones, was a good deal. Wish I'd been there.
wrote:

old
tri