Some Carlin carvin YES, woodworking, sorta, related.

Just having some fun converting grey(gray)scale images to 3D bumpmaps then carving a slab of Corian with my router so I get, what is called, a Lithopane. The dark areas are full 1/2" thickness, the light areas (like the eyeballs) are 1/32" thern back lit. the 'positive, is looking at it from the flat side. The 'carved side shows a lot more detail and is a bit spooky. The colour original hangs in my office.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/CarlinPositive.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/CarlinCarvedside.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/CarlinOrig13x19.jpg

Very interesting. Will have to show them to my wife as she is a big carlin fan.
Now just think, a little more technology and you can breathe life into it. You could have the world's first wise crackin' countertop!