Solid Surface supplier ?

Epoxy is used to refer to any two-part adhesive system only by those whose knowledge is so lacking that all they comprehend is that two parts of something are to be mixed together.

Fortunately the English language is very robust and it affords us the opportunity when it is important to speak in a manner such that ambiguities and misunderstandings are kept to a minimum. One of the ways this is done is to know the definitions of words. What you are saying is that because someone who didn't know the meaning of the word "epoxy" and used it to refer to a totally different adhesive "epoxy" has now been redefined.

It doesn't work that way. "Technical correctness" isn't the issue. If the words you utter don't have a universally understood meaning (a definition) then you might just as well communicate with monosyllabic grunts.

Proper use of the language is frequently an indicator of one's education, knowledge and intelligence. Improper use of the language is... well I let you complete the thought.

RB

Sw>>incorrect assertion that MMA is an epoxy. There is little similarity

Reply to
RB

I favor genetic selection.

RB

Reply to
RB

What epoxy are you buying for $1000 a quart!? I buy epoxy for $30 to $50 a quart unless I need something special.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Precisely! See, that wasn't so difficult, was it? ... and it dovetails nicely witth my remarked upon "common usage" of the term, doncha think?.

BTW, to be "technically correct" there are really no "dovetails", as such, in the above sentence, but you now get the idea of common usage, right?

And unfortunately, anyone with a keyboard, and delusions of superiority, can pollute a woodworking forum with sanctimonious crap like the snippage.

Reply to
Swingman

Research Article Viscoelastic behaviour of epoxy resins modified with poly(methyl methacrylate) I. Mondragon 1 *, P. M. Remiro 1, M. D. Martin 1, A. Valea 1, M. Franco 1, V. Bellenguer 2

1Departamento Ingeniería Química y del Medio Ambiente, Escuela Universitaria Ingeniería Técnica Industrial, Universidad País Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU), Avda. Felipe IV, 1 B, 20011 San Sebastián/Donostia, Spain 2École Nationale Supérieure dArts et Métiers (ENSAM), 151, boulevard de lHôpital, 75640 Paris, France

Abstract The viscoelastic behaviour of a stoichiometric diglycidyl ether of bisphenol-A, (DGEBA), 4,4-diaminodiphenylmethanes (DDM)s epoxy matrix modified with several amounts of poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) has been studied by dynamic-mechanical analysis. Mixtures pre-cured at

80°C ranged from transparency to opacity as thermoplastic content changed from 5 to 15wt%. These changes have been attributed to variations in the ratio between polymerization rate and phase separation rate when PMMA content increased in the mixtures. When PMMA segregated from the epoxy matrix during curing, it had no influence on the crosslinking density of the epoxy phase. The clear decrease of temperature and activation energy of the relaxation with respect to those values for the neat matrix, observed for the 5wt% PMMA-containing mixture but not for the 15wt% PMMA-containing one, are proposed to be a consequence of physical interactions between the PMMA chains and some epoxy oligomers. The dissimilar variation of the height of the relaxation with frequency when compared to that for the other relaxations studied, outlines the significance of physical factors influencing this relaxation. © 1998 Society of Chemical Industry

1998 *Correspondence to I. Mondragon, Departamento Ingeniería Química y del Medio Ambiente, Escuela Universitaria Ingeniería Técnica Industrial, Universidad País Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU), Avda. Felipe IV, 1 B, 20011 San Sebastián/Donostia, Spain

Funding Agency: UPV; Grant Number: 112.263-EA135/92 Funding Agency: CICYT; Grant Number: AP92-15998035

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

more quotes from Tommy!

dave

Tom Wats snip snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You don't get it, do you, davey?

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Good try. Shame you don't understand what you're reading. For example "when PMMA segregated from the epoxy matrix during curing, it had no influence on the crosslinking of the epoxy phase". Right there in your own quote it is clearly stated that PMMA is different from epoxy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy! I do, I do!

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:22:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

snip

John...

I think that that WAS his point....

Reply to
bridger

If so, I apologize, I'm losing track of the players in this discussion.

Reply to
J. Clarke