Solid Surface supplier ????????????????????

Not as single crystals. However, as quartz rock, it is available: <http://www.cambriausa.com/consumer/ This was the only link I have foundthus far that uses solid stone vs. ground up and reformulated stone.
Most other manufacturers of quartz countertops are like those found on: <http://www.avanzausa.com/content_features_frame.html . One of myfavorite quotes from that page: "The color of ordinary stone can vary greatly between pieces. And unattractive veining or color blots can mar the appearance. With Avanza, colors and textures are consistent." Can you imagine subsituting: "The color of ordinary maple can vary greatly between pieces. And unattractive quilting or birds-eye can mar the appearance. With aggreparticleboardmaple, colos and textures are consistent"?
On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:19:43 GMT, Mark & Juanita

If you read the cited articles; you will notice that they talk of "engineered stone" - this is not a natural product; it is fabricated by some type of glue and stone and quartz particles.
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com

Yep, you're right. After more careful inspection, it appears that this is also engineered material. Funny thing, you really have to dig to find that, looking at the first parts of their web pages, you get quotes such as, "CAMBRIA is pure natural Quartz stone mined out of the earth. It has the look and feel of granite with superior performance." That's from the Product Info page, From the how we compare page, in the table it lists both Cambria and Granite as "Natural Stone". Yeah, "natural" as in ground up with epoxy binders -- just like MDF is "natural wood". Kind of misleading.
Thanks for helping set me straight -- looks like granite is still the top of choice if one desires natural stone that is less porous than marble.
On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:21:46 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Hey - this "may" be a great product (even "better" than granite). I really don't know anything about it other than what the website says.
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com

I've been researching counter top materials for some time. Info I have is that ALL the quartz products are made by the same process, on the same patented Italian made machines. Dupont has one in Canada, they charge more for their product. Silestone and Cesar Stone, perhaps others by now, are the same thing. One product brochure, Silestone I believe, stated there is 90% Quartz and 10% binder material in the product, making it harder and less porous than granite. Needs no sealer, will not stain. Can't be scratched with a knife. MAY burn under high enough temp., not sure what that is. This will be my choice when I get around to our kitchen, expecting it to outlast me!
On 30 May 2004 23:26:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gary DeWitt) wrote:

One thing that Cambria states is that they manufacture their product in Minnesota (if that makes a difference to you). [Still not comfortable with their claims that Cambria is "Natural Stone" though]

Use frickin granite. Sealing it is trivial.
p_j wrote:

Mind you don't drop it on your OH!
--
--John
On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:19:43 GMT, Mark & Juanita

IT isn't slabs of solid quartz. From their website:
"Is CAMBRIA made or manufactured in a plant?
The CAMBRIA facility produces natural quartz into slabs. We take pure natural quartz mined out of the earth and combine it with a small amount of pigment and resin to create a slab of uncommon beauty and strength. This is done in our facility in LeSueur, Minnesota, the only one of its kind in the United States. By recombining the quartz in our facility, we are able to recreate the slabs to make them completely non-porous."
jev wrote:

Gawd, what does _that_ mean? Anybody know the patent number on the process or device?
--
--John

single quartz crystals do get pretty damn big in nature, but they're rare. quartzite, though- cryptocrystalline quartz- can be any size, up to and including a whole mountainside. this is prolly the stuff that these counters would be made of. and yes, it would make a dandy counter....