Solid Surface supplier ????????????????????

Page 4 of 5  
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Coming from someone who is arguing engineering on the basis of religious faith (There is only One Good, Right, and True DuPont Way and all other paths lead to damnation) that's a laugh.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

Yah ya got me there on that one Skippy. What I really wanted to say/should have said is, the seam kits from DuPont work. Now, I'm sure what it is you have going at your end would work for you but why would I ever want to risk warrantee just because you told me so? You know what I mean?
In other words, I'll stay with the tried and true onna 'count of I know it works. You on the other hand are here without credentials and as far as I know you're as brain dead, or as full of shit, as guys like Woody when he's giving out 'lektrikal advice (advise in wreckspeak).
UA100, who is really only hanging onto this one for sport, no really, I am...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Reread the thread and identify the post in which anyone suggested that someone with access to the seam kit not use it.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Good of you to admit it to Skippy, whoever or whatever Skippy might be. But what makes you believe that this "Skippy" gives a damn?

Who has disputed this? The issue is not their performance but their availability.

Who has told you to "risk warrantee"?

If you had paid attention to what _I_ meant this discussion would not have taken place, but you chose to ignore the points being raised and instead get all threatened and defensive.
There are, since this point has clearly gone right by you, people in the world who can get Corian but can't get the seam kit, and who for whatever reason want to bond the stuff. Since they aren't certified installers there is no warrantee even if they use the seam kit but they may not care about that any more than they care that there is no warrantee on a piece of pine. My comments were addressed at the needs of this group, who cannot get your seam kit and canot get your warrantee and to whom both are thus irrelevant.
Now, do you have anything _constructive_ to say to this group other than "don't do it because it's not the DuPont Way"?

This is certainly a reasonable course of action.

You are also here without "credentials" (and don't bother to try to post them unless you can (a) prove that they are valid and (b) prove that you are the person to whom they were issued) and give every appearance of being insuffiiciently literate to figure out that a discussion of alternatives to the seam kit for those who cannot get the seam kit is not advocacy of abandonment of the seam kit by those who have access to it.
However, now I understand--you must be new to USENET--nobody gives a damn about your "credentials" if you can't defend your argument. And so far the only defense you have given of your argument is that "it's not the DuPont Way".

Sure you are.
--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

Don't tell me you're one of those guys who's still pissed that the Internet got turned over to the common folk. How long are you guys going to go on about this?

Well, it is.
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
He got you GOOD on that last post of his, Keeter. Boy do you look STOOPID now! Go J.C! (I was referring to the warranty issue, in case you've finally lost those last few thousand brain cells you've been hanging onto for god knows what useful purpose).
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Yup, newcomer going all defensive when he finds out that he's not going to get away with what worked in the small universe he used to inhabit.

About what? Expecting people to defend their arguments with reason and logic rather than simply asserting over and over again "you're wrong" and when that doesn't work following up with name calling?

So what?

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

Says you!
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Unisaw A100 wrote:

So you're saying that your statement was of no real relevance? Silly me, and I thought that you had a point of some kind to make.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:40:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
....snip.....

wow. J. Clarke sure knows how to put his foot in it, eh?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:58:44 -0700, bridger wrote:

JCIAFT - disappeared from my reader shortly after he first showed up and kicked that freshly swept pile of sawdust all over the place.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

And if you buy that you probably believe that there is no coincidence between the patents on R-12 running out and the "discovery" that it contributed to "global warming." We just finished Memorial Day weekend and lit fires all three nights because it was CCCCold. Global warming???
RB

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RB wrote:

Get your plots straight--CFCs contribute to ozone depletion, not global warming.
Is all capitalist plot Natasha. Keel moose and squir-rel.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I work with epoxy and glass & graphite fibers. Epoxy is almost $1000/qt, fibers about $100/lb. Rings weigh around 350-400lbs. Yes, there is only ONE way to do some things.
J. Clarke wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rick Samuel wrote:

Oh? You developed the process yourself? If not, then how do you know that it is the only one possible?
There is, in engineering, seldom only one way to do a job. However when it is time to cut chips, you have to pick one of the alternatives and put it on the specs and on the drawings and in the work sheets and wherever else it needs to be.
So, there are probably several ways to do whatever you do with your mysterious "rings". Find the engineer who came up with the process and if he's the friendly and talkative sort ask him what alternatives were considered and why the one you use was chosen and you may get a surprise.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What epoxy are you buying for $1000 a quart!? I buy epoxy for $30 to $50 a quart unless I need something special.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You probably won't have any luck getting the Corian/Dupont brand. I haven't had any trouble buying the Formica brand SS, but I'm just getting their sheet stock. Another product "Amerite?" is available from the maker - I've no experience with it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Eric Ryder wrote:

Avonite.
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Yep, and the Avonite is a polyester based product and needs different treatment than Corian, which is acrylic based.
<watson-who had to go to Avonite school, too - but doesn't remember if they only let licensed fabricators buy it - because soon after Watson learned all about Corian and Avonite - everybody started to spec granite - sigh...>
Regards, Tom.
Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Speaking of which, at a tangent, we had been considering granite for our kitchen. Now, however, it appears that quartz is also a viable material and less porous than even granite. However, when doing a search for quartz countertops, or even "natural" quartz countertops, I get all sorts of hits in which claims are made for things like "silestone" and a couple of other products are "natural quartz" One has to read the fine print really, really closely to identify that these are composite materials using "natural quartz" in some sort of binder. Yet the big print yells "NATURAL QUARTZ"! Gettin' kind of frustrating trying to find some web pages with examples of real quartz countertops -- and by real I mean, honest, no kidding, cut from the quarry solid quartz -- not something ground up and reformulated with new colors in an attractive plastic binder.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:36:39 GMT, Mark & Juanita
snip

I don't think that quartz grows big enough for counter tops. In a past life, I ran a quartz crystal plant for quartz crystals used in communications equipment. The raw quartz crystals were in the 1-1 1/2" diameter and 6" length range.
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.