Sold my first work yesterday

Well, those aren't *too* dangerous. That was my son's first tool. Maybe even age four.

Or the boy's mother. The fact that she's a wimminz doesn't absolve her of any responsibility for this.

Of course, it depends on Dad too. I know *many* men who aren't what I'd call tool users.

I have a worse picture in my head. Stitches.

Yes, and it *is* ultimately their responsibility.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, closing that blade the first time. THWACK. Ouch. Duh.

These days you can get five years in prison for carrying a pair of nail clippers to school though. If they catch you with a Swiss Army knife, it's straight to the electric chair.

Reply to
Silvan

Ya only get probation if you draw a picture of a Swiss Army knife. Strange times indeed. One school prevented a student from doing a report on the US Marine Corps because it would promote violence.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Xmas present:

' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:42:08 +0000, Andy Dingley brought forth from the murky depths:

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Idea came from a link of JOAT's

's stacked plywood, sawn with staggered edges and slammed through a chamfer bit on the router.
' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

very cool! What is neater than pretending to be one of the Knights of the Round Table?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:24:20 +0000, Andy Dingley brought forth from the murky depths:

Damn, there went its mystique.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
BRuce

I graduated in '76. My friends and I all drove old rag topped jeeps to school. After school we'd all be out ground hog hunting. We couldn't leave the guns in the jeeps, so we used to keep them in our lockers at school. How much time do you think I would get these days if I took an 30-06 through the front door of the school with two loaded clips. Back then nobody even gave it a second thought.

Reply to
Robert Smith

We did the same thing in MI 'cept when we took the new ones out and did show-and-tell. You wouldn't do any time though, SWAT would take you out long before that was an issue. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

30-06 for ground hogs? What did y'all use for deer, .458 Winchester or .460 Weatherby?

I'm class of '77. It was a different epoch.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Me too.

yep, we didn't take guns to school but, with the tacit approval of the chemistry teacher, cooked up black powder and tested various formulations for the purpose of building rocket motors. The rocket motor casings were aluminum pipe -- can you imagine what would happen these days? "Students arrested for building pipe bombs in classroom, teacher suspended"

FWIW, we got a couple of good launches, the weak links were finding reliable ignitor approaches and a reliable means of keeping the nosecone attached. It was a very practical introduction to solving engineering problems and got us involved in researching literature; it was my first exposure to the rocket equation.

We also exercised good practices regarding range safety -- since our high school was essentially in the middle of a wheat field, we would drive out on a country road, find a location with a nice, drainage ditch and set up such that we were well removed and under cover during launches.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Those kids are at the perfect age for the perfect toy tools ---

Right now, Sears has some of the (ok, I'll use the word!) cutest darned toy tools on sale (see the "My First Craftsman" tools sets). The skil saw, the drill/driver set and the chain saw even make sort of realistic sounds when the triggers are pushed. They're probably greater gift ideas for us grown-ups though :-)

Reply to
Steve

Yes 30-06, I took a raft of shit from everyone back then too. They all had different guns for everything. 22-250 seemed to be the weapon of choice. But when they would shoot them, you could hardly tell they were hit. When I shot one you normally had a few loose pieces. Back then I couldn't afford more guns, I spent most of my income on chasing women. Strange, I figured once I caught one, I could start spending all the money on me. And to think, back then I knew everything.

Reply to
Robert Smith

Late 50's and early 60's ... During dove season, and when there was no practice, I occasionally rode my buckskin mare, Nancy Hanks, to school carrying my 20ga Remington Model 11 shotgun with a couple boxes of shells in a shell vest. I tied the horse to the back fence with a halter and, because the lockers weren't big enough, brought the gun and game bag to woodshop for storage (OBWW).

Damn, how times have changed ...

Reply to
Swingman

And how!

Reply to
Silvan

Look for the "powRsound" plastic chain saw with the "working" chain made of bathroom basin chain. Friend of mine has three of them, and uses them for juggling.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley