Solar heat for the shop. ^5's Morris!

Page 4 of 4
Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm guessing that the payback period for passive heating panels might be a bit shorter for a lot of the 1+ million home and business owners in New England who're without power today...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Exactly.... Sort of like changing out the windows for double pane or putting dark tint on the widows that get sun..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

All things passive appeal to my passive nature.
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 06:56:03 -0800, mac davis

What happens with this thing in the heat of summer? More free heat?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Good question. It's designed to turn itself off as summer approaches. The angle angle at which sunlight strikes the glazing - see the explanation at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Astro/Seasons.html - provides seasonal control. You can get more information still by doing a Google search on "critical angle".
It's also possible to shut the panel off completely in any season by covering the glazing.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Before electricity became common in south Georgia, our neighbor had a refrigerator that ran on propane. After college I worked in a huge drug store in Tennessee whose air conditioner used a gas burner instead of a compressor. Has anyone ever made a room cooling system that used solar heat to drive the ammonia cycle and passive convection instead of a fan to spread the cooler air? A lot of our electricity in the south is used for cooling, but I've never heard this discussed.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

It's theoretically possible, but loaded with so many practical problems that the problem will probably be solved in some other way.
As resources have permitted, I've been working another approach which seems promising - and talk about the approach (without providing much detail) in the web page at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Journey.html
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar