Solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt

Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt on www.ebay.com ?
Regards.

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

During the day, when you don't need the light.

During a local phone-in radio show the other day someone actually said we should be flying kites with wires like Ben Franklin to utilize lightening as an alternate energy source.
He was dead-drop serious, too.
And, he gets to vote.
If I believed in God, I'd say "God help us". Alas, I think we're doomed.

Common sense is a misnomer, as our dear Frazier ("housekeeping") said.
--
Best regards
Han

What did he say his use for "darkening" was? Oh, you meant "ligntning", didn't you? Sorry.

They live among us...
"They live among us and still have jobs?
I was at the checkout of a K-Mart. The clerk rang up $46.64 charge. I gave her a fifty dollar bill. She gave me back $46.64. I gave it back to her and told her that she had made a mistake in MY favor and gave her the money back. She became indignant and informed me she was educated and knew what she was doing, and returned the money again. I gave her the money back again...same scenario! I departed the store with the $46.64. This actually happened to me in Austin at MoPac Blvd. and Parmer Lane .......They walk among us and many work retail.
I walked into a Mickey D's with a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for a sandwich. I handed it to the girl and she looked over at a little chalkboard that said "buy one-get one free." "They're already buy-one-get-one-free", she said , "so I guess they're both free." She handed me my free sandwiches and I walked out the door.......They walk among us and many work retail.
One day, I was walking down the beach with some friends when one of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone looked up at the sky and said, "Where?".............They walk among us!
While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate agent which direction was north because, he explained, he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning. She asked, "Does the sun rise in the north?" When my brother explained that the sun rises in the east, and has for sometime, she shook her head and said, "Oh I don't keep up with that stuff."...........They walk among us!!
I used to work in technical support for a 24/7 call center. One day, I got a call from an individual who asked what hours the call center was open. I told him, "The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?" Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Uh, Pacific."...............They walk among us!
My sister has a lifesaving tool in her car designed to cut through a seat belt if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the trunk......... They walk among us!
My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we bought 2 cases. The cashier multiplied 2 times 10% and gave us a 20% discount.......... They walk among us!
I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area, so I went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and I was in good hands. "Now," she asked me, has your plane arrived yet?"............They walk among us!
While working at a pizza parlor, I observed a man ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time before responding. "Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat 6 pieces." ...............Yep, they walk among us!
They walk among us, and they reproduce, and worst of all.......they vote!
* 2 years ago rong444 from Yahoo Answers."
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Nope. I meant lightning, C-Less...
;-)
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:56:52 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

HAH! YOu got me back, instantly. Two points, Baldy.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
I've posted this before, but I went to Lowe's to get a piece of glass once and asked the woman to cut it to 8 and 7/8ths by 11 and 7/8ths. To which she replied "what's a seveneighths?". Yes, they walk among us.
JP

Some of grew up metric ...
--
Best regards
Han

Well, you did lob that one...
On Jan 30, 10:07pm, Dave Balderstone

Nothing that starts that way ... ever ends well.

Yep. For 20+ years.
For that same USD100, you can run a laptop (or two) during daylight hours for 20 years. That turns out to be USD5 per year; not a bad deal, compared to the alternative.
Assume 8 hours/day at 100w. .8kw/day * 365 days = 292KwH/year.
Assume USD0.15/KwH * 292 Kwh = USD43.83/year.
In two years you've pretty much paid off the USD100 for the solar cells.
(of course, the original mail was pure spam, and you'll need an inverter and transfer switch, so I'm not sure about the dollar per watt figure either).
And you need bright sunlight all day.
Here in East Texas, I find it hard to keep my batteries charged in the weather station that are constantly being charged (or not) by the sun.
So much fog and heavy clouds that the cells don't generate enough current to charge anything. It takes several days to charge a depleted battery and we are lucky to have three sunny days in a row.
Martin
Scott Lurndal wrote:

On 2/1/2010 9:02 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Have the same problem with a solar cell running a gate opener to the shop driveway here in Houston. The marine battery is struggling to keep a charge with no sun. Next sun forecast is six days from now ... bring on some GW!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

-------------------------------------- Define "Marine Battery".
Batteries are convenient but not efficient.
For every 100AH you use, you must replace 125AH for instance.
Also the average recharge rate of a battery is about 15% of total capacity.
IOW, max sustained recharge rate of a 100AH battery is 15A.
Just the realities of solar panels and wet cell batteries.
If you don't have at least a pair of L-16s (Floor sweeper batteries) or T-105s (Golf cart batteries) and a 75W solar panel, you are probably going to have trouble.
Abby is finding that out on her way to Cabo to make modifications.
Lew

Try it here, in Seattle.
I know the pacific North west - I lived off the coast in 7 acres of Redwoods near Santa Cruz. 70-90 inches of ran a year and 60 in a drought!
Martin
CW wrote:

No, but if you hum me a few bars I can fake it ...