softwood floor

Has anyone had some experience sanding and finishing softwwood floors? I believe the wood is fir but not too sure. I have been told to not use a floor drum sander because of heat build up and a gumming effect as a result. Any advise would really be appreciated. Thanks, Fred
Possibly find some experience in alt.home.repair also.