Software - simple yet 3D

This topic has probably been chewed over and over again yet I dont see an immediate solution: I need software for planning small/medium woodworking projects that will supply the following: * design of furniture (table, box, ...not kitchen, room, ...) * 3D view (option to rotate and add wood texture) * no sheet planner, inventory functions, etc. Keep it simple. * freeware or shareware - preferable I'm beginning to think any 3D CAD software will work and searching in the "woodworking" category is just misleading. Am I right? Thx
On 27 Dec 2004 02:38:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Surprisingly not.
Fine Woodworking a couple of issues ago did a multi-product review of this type of CAD. I'm planning to buy ($99) a copy of DesignCAD when I have a moment, on the basis of this recommendation.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:27:37 +0000, Andy Dingley

mmm....it has, IIRC. But since it never gets resolved, that's no problem! <G>

Before you buy, have you tried the downloaded trial?
I am DLing now, to try it yet again. I used it under DOS. It was OK but buggy. I tried again maybe 2-3 years ago under WIn.
I did not keep using it. It may have changed.
The thing I have found with _any_ 3D stuff is that it's not simple. If you don't keep up the practice you have relearn a lot.

Nope - no computer. I've got 5 on my desk, only one of which is really working right. I've spent most of the "Christmas holiday" trying to fix this some of this, but until I have a powerful Windows box with a decent screen and plenty of spare disk space, I won't be fooling with any new software.
I'm never buying another Maxtor HD 8-(
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:29:48 +0000, Andy Dingley

Well, before you buy I suggest you do. I just tried the latest, and maybe it's just me, but I had some weird results.
TurboCAD is a full-featured drawing package that has received great reviews. Even better, it is available for free at http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php Click on TurboCAD LE.
It takes a little effort to learn to use it, but it is worth the effort.
I was not that taken with TurboCad's methods in a few cases.
However, many people like it, I agree.
My problem is that as a non-drafting person, anything that takes time to learn also takes time to re-learn if I happen not to use it for a couple of weeks, or even _only_ use it every couple of weeks. This places me with a lot of guys here, I would say. It becomses unworkable to just sit down and rough out a sketch, because I have to spend time getting back up to speed.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:29:48 +0000, Andy Dingley
hmmm...So far I have spent maybe 15 minutes on Design Cad, and have achieved quite a bit of basic drawing. It seems to have improved its intuitivity (<G>) quite a bit. A few "funnies" so far, but not like some programmes I have tried.
15 days is simply not enough though. I would have though 30 was more reasonable for the average guy who really has not got hours a day to test it.
Then I could stop posting this shit and get on with it eh?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:29:48 +0000, Andy Dingley
Well I had a WD collapse on me the other day. But it was 6 years old. Their customer service has always been very good. They have a nice little app that allows you to mirror drives at BIOS level, and have always been helpful via email.
FWIW

If you find anything that is a no-brainer to learn and gives results you're satis- fied with while costing less than $200.00, I'd like to know about it. About the only way to get good detail is by hook or crook obtain a copy of a high end program like 3DSMax or TrueSpace or Rhino (the student versions cost less, and trial versions are available.) If you learn any of these programs at their most basic level, you can design things with photographic reality.

I only know of one CAD application that is specifically made for woodworking (and by a woodworker): Design Intuition.
<http://www.gizmolab.com
It only works on Macintosh computers though.
Another package to look for is SketchUp, although it's not very precise, but it's very easy to make quick sketches in 3D.
<http://www.sketchup.com
I use it a lot to show clients draft discussion sketches of built-ins so we can discuss what they really want. It's easy to change the drafts, even in front of the client. But is doesn't print material lists like Design Intuition does. There are demos available of both programs, so try before you buy.
--
mare

http://www.etch-a-sketch.com/html/classic.htm
Regards, Tom.