software program

I would like to know what is a simple software program for laying out a project. I like what I see in SHOP NOTES. What program do they use? anyone know?
I going to use it to help draw out other things. A friend and I were thinking of getting back into woodworking from 15 yrs ago. I would like to find a software program that is simple enough to make changes to someone's ideas. We plan on making book shelves, computer hutches, entertainment centers. ect. out of oak veneer ply with oak trim like we did years back, and down the road hire other experienced wood workers to ad their ideas. We are in the thinking stage at this time and I would like to have my home work done on what we may need to get going and cost.
TIA Don D.

I don't know what they use, but I use DeltaCad. For serious 3D modelling try Solid Edge. I think you can download demos of each.
I use SOLID WORKS.........Brian

TurboCAD is great. The best is that it is available free as TurboCAD LE at http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php
Takes a bit of effort to learn-the-ropes, but it is well worth it. Mr Fixit eh