software

Page 1 of 2

I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?
James

than CabinetVision?
Don't know....that's why I'm asking. I have seen posts to sell the product and was wondering how it would work. Don't want to do anything illegal.
James

Email CabinetVision. They'll set you right up.

Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and software, what's to stop them from selling to me. Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to do with as you please? I'm not trying to be a pain, just want to know.
James

JamesB wrote:

Nothing _____________
Yes
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yeah, I guess I kinda left out some info on my original post. Sorry.
Well, if there is anyone who has the program (CabinetVision) with a key and wants to sell, I'm in the market.
James

Same as a book.

When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy. Most software is sold as a right to use license only. You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it. Read the license agreement and warranty. The warranty only says that the delivery media is free of defects, not the software itself.
--
Ben Loosli
"JamesB" <dsbsoft(noSpam)@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
They'd sure like you to believe that.

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine. Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another machine it would be rejected and the program will not run. I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP address.

Nowhere close.

I d/l and purchase a prog called Downloader Pro. I get the Key and everything is fine. About a year later I feel my H/D is fried and replace it. I re-install winXP, etc, etc. When I go to install D/L'er Pro I enter the same key and get a message that says....."That Key is over a year old..blah..blah...blah....you need to purchase an upgrade" So, if like you guys say, they are not grabbing my IP add, then they must be laying in some cookie or something....?? Or maybe they just log the time and date that I entered the key the first time and then they have it for Ref.
Anyway, beyond the whole business about how they track users, what do you guys think about the fact that I can no longer use that program...that I paid for.
Joe Bemier wrote:

sounds like the date the key was generated was coded into the key.
I'd never do business again with a company that put a timeout on a paid for software. there are several decent free download managers- check them out...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Actually, that just sounds like a nag screen, not like it's preventing him from using it.
er
--
email not valid

Joe Bemier wrote:

I see no hint of fact there, merely naivete (AKA "lameness" :)
Personally, I wouldn't have laid out *any* money for a program that does what can be done with Windows and a freebie like IrfanView. Since you did, I would...
(from http://www.breezesys.com/faqs.htm#GEN ) "4. I have lost my hard drive/had to reinstall Windows. How do I get your programs running again? Download a new copy of each program from the downloads page and install them on your PC. You will need to enter your registration details again and these can be found in the registration email you received when you purchased the program. If you are unable to find your registration details email snipped-for-privacy@breezesys.com. Please include as much information as possible about your purchase to help us identify your order quickly. We regret we cannot re-issue registration codes if you are unable to provide adequate proof of purchase."
You aren't going to be able to d/l the latest and greatest without additional cost but you can get your version... http://www.breezesys.com/upgrades.htm
Amazing what one can learn by browsing, verdad?
--

dadiOH

No, whats amazing is that you probably think you are right.
And, yeah sure - all the best S/W is Freeware.
Joe Bemier wrote:

What, you still can't get it reinstalled?
--

dadiOH