Soft maple for flooring???

I'm planning on installing hardwood flooring in our living & dining rooms this spring.
I looked at a few of the laments, but, not too thrilled with what you get for the money, with the exception on "ease of installation".
I found some 1/2" soft maple for $2.20 a sq.ft. (surfaced 2 sides)
Would this be a sensible choice? I'd think 1/2" would be thick enough, I've seen hw flooring as thin as 3/8"
I've also heard it stains well, any comments?
Figured I might be able to do more of the finish work myself and spend the savings on tools to do the job...
ThankX Ron
Where are you located?
Boden
Ron wrote:

Pittsburgh

rooms
get
3/8"
the

IMHO, no. Three years ago I got some really nice Muskoka 3 1/4" prefinished, clear, hard maple flooring for $3.15/sqft using a 10% off coupon at Home Depot. HD doesn't seem to carry this brand anymore, but I'm sure a flooring store in your area will have something comparable.
Canadian sugar maple with a factory finish is going to be a lot more durable than local soft maple with a DIY finish.